Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2009, 08:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Snowblower Not Blowing Very Good

I have an Ariens two-stage 11/28 snowblower. It's in its 6th winter and has performed great here in Central NY. My problem is that it isn't blowing the snow out of the chute like it should. The blower starts, as usual, with just one pull. It runs great, the augers are turning and the impeller is turning. But the snow escapes out of the bottom of the chute and doesn't go to the top for throwing. I suspect that the impeller speed may need adjustment, but not sure about that.

I've tried different speeds, different snow heights, etc., but it won't throw the snow if it's deeper than roughly 6". Prior to this, it would throw it anywhere from 30-50 feet.

We've had over 16 feet of snow this season and more to come. Therefore, it's had a LOT of use.

Thanks,
Bob

brewbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:42 PM   #2

Sounds like a loose or worn belt. We don't get enough snow here for a snowblower so I haven't touched one since I left New York. The couple I had back then did the same thing and it was always a loose or worn belt.

KHouse75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:01 AM   #3

Thanks, Khouse. It makes sense and I had planned to have the belts replaced after this winter.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:44 AM   #4

do you hear any squealing or bearing noise? you can remove the belts and see if anythings binding by turning the auger and impeller by hand carefully
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by strublesiding@optonline.n View Post
do you hear any squealing or bearing noise? you can remove the belts and see if anythings binding by turning the auger and impeller by hand carefully
Sometimes hear a squealing noise but not always. I wonder if I can remove the plastic cover to see the belt and adjust it? It throws snow if I go slow and it's not too deep, so I think Khouse's theory of a slipping belt might be accurate. A temporary fix would be good, as we have another solid month for snow.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:24 AM   #6

All snowblower belts have a pulley that is running . when you close the cable this is pulled in to turn the auger. if it gets loose the auger will not rotate.as you are saying the throwing distance is low i guess the belt is gone.

get a new one and remember to open the bottom plate and run the belt around the brake section if you drop the belt from the top it will shred in 2 minutes.

satz
satz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:46 AM   #7

Thanks for all the help. I managed to remove the cover and adjust the idler pulley to increase tension on the belt. It works fine now. All the belts will be replaced this spring.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:59 AM   #8

I was having the same problem....I'm going to look into doing this too...thanks!
ThunderCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:00 PM   #9

Tightened the tension tonight and I don't think it's ever moved snow that good! Thanks to this site for the tip! We just got 6-8 inches today, so I am sure I'll need to blow the driveway again tomorrow morning. I hasd so much fun moving snow that I did the driveways of 2 nieghbors tonight (usually do one of them anyway, but never this quick).

ThunderCAT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
snowblower