Snow Thrower Gearbox Siezed - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2011, 07:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 506

Snow Thrower Gearbox siezed

Hi;
My brother has an old Craftsman 24" snow thrower. When he tried to use it for the first snowstorm (the big blizzard in the NYC area), it started fine, the drive is good, but after a short time, the auger stopped, and would not move again.

When I went over, I found the gearbox to be siezed. The belt and pulley seemed OK, but how I made my diagnosis is that there is absolutely no play in the shaft that runs between the drive pulley and the gearbox.

My brother is asking me whether it is worth having this machine repaired. I first told him that I thought it would be, since the engine and the rest of it seems to be in decent condition.

Any idea of how much a replacement of the gearbox (assuming that's all that is wrong with the machine) would run?
I don't know the model right now, but my bro is trying to find his manual.
I did check the cost of the gearbox for my machine, which is a 28" Craftsman, and it is $140. But how labor intensive is such a repair?
I don't think this is something I could handle myself.

Thanks for your help

FW

Advertisement

KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,018

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE2KB View Post
Hi;
My brother has an old Craftsman 24" snow thrower. When he tried to use it for the first snowstorm (the big blizzard in the NYC area), it started fine, the drive is good, but after a short time, the auger stopped, and would not move again.

When I went over, I found the gearbox to be siezed. The belt and pulley seemed OK, but how I made my diagnosis is that there is absolutely no play in the shaft that runs between the drive pulley and the gearbox.

My brother is asking me whether it is worth having this machine repaired. I first told him that I thought it would be, since the engine and the rest of it seems to be in decent condition.

Any idea of how much a replacement of the gearbox (assuming that's all that is wrong with the machine) would run?
I don't know the model right now, but my bro is trying to find his manual.
I did check the cost of the gearbox for my machine, which is a 28" Craftsman, and it is $140. But how labor intensive is such a repair?
I don't think this is something I could handle myself.

Thanks for your help

FW
Have you checked to make sure there is nothing jamming the impeller blade? My Ariens jammed on me one time when it ate my morning paper.

Advertisement

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:01 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

I had a problem with my craftsman snowblower last week. After taking it all apart and some help from people on this forum, I think I have it fixed. We are supposed to get 6-10 inches in NJ on Friday, so we'll see. Anyway, when I thought it was the gears, I priced them out and they were around 90 bucks. You can find the exact part number on searspartsdirect.com and then google it to find the best price, which may be on ebay or a local lawnmower shop. good luck
joeg679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
Have you checked to make sure there is nothing jamming the impeller blade? My Ariens jammed on me one time when it ate my morning paper.
Yup; checked it out, removed all of the snow. Nothing in the auger or impeller.

I pretty much knew that the gearbox was siezed when I grabbed the driveshaft into it, tried to twist it, and the whole gearbox moves slightly.

On another (Craftsman, but larger) machine which is only 1yr old and working fine, there is some play in the gearbox, as there is supposed to be.

I'm not good with mechanics like that, so we are going to take it into Sears. I guess if the cost to repair is too high, my bro will have to buy a new one. I think that if you do that, Sears will deduct the cost of the repair appraisal (as long as you buy it from Sears).

FW

Old 03-07-2011, 04:48 PM   #5

My brother got the machine back, tried to use it on the next snow, but the auger stopped again. Dropped the machine back at Sears repair, 10 days later it came back, this time a belt was replaced. Why didn't they replace the belt the first time?

Brother tried to use the machine again, this time the engine stalled out.
I am going to have a look at it. I think this time, could be just the spark plug.
But we haven't had another snow since.

IMO, Sears is sub-contracting out to the cheapest shop they can find, and they don't do a thorough job.

FW

Old 03-07-2011, 07:03 PM   #6
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,294

Quote:
an old Craftsman 24" snow thrower.
IMO, Sears is sub-contracting out to the cheapest shop they can find, and they don't do a thorough job.
Ayuh,... Or it's just an ole wore out machine that's just gettin' to the Nickle, & Dime stage....
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:06 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,018

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE2KB View Post
My brother got the machine back, tried to use it on the next snow, but the auger stopped again. Dropped the machine back at Sears repair, 10 days later it came back, this time a belt was replaced. Why didn't they replace the belt the first time?

Brother tried to use the machine again, this time the engine stalled out.
I am going to have a look at it. I think this time, could be just the spark plug.
But we haven't had another snow since.

FW
Sorry to hear that. What a complete waste of F'n time.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:02 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,048

Did it work for any length of time?

Could you tell that what was originally broken had been fixed?

For example (with the spark plug disconnected) someone pulls slowly and repeatedly on the starter cord while someone else holds the handlebar levers and you observe does the auger rotate like it should?
Old 03-08-2011, 05:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
Did it work for any length of time?

Could you tell that what was originally broken had been fixed?

For example (with the spark plug disconnected) someone pulls slowly and repeatedly on the starter cord while someone else holds the handlebar levers and you observe does the auger rotate like it should?
Never even checked that. I didn't think of it. Not much experience with this sort of stuff. My "expertise" is electrical.

FW

Advertisement