Snow Blower Mtd Runs But Doesn't Move - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2011, 01:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

snow blower mtd runs but doesn't move

I have MTD model 31ae6lhg705 The engine runs but the wheels don't turn. I removed the bottom plate. The friction disc looks fine. The friction wheel looks good. The gears are locked. I removed the E-ring from the upper set of gears and slid them to the left. Now the remaining gears and the wheels turn. Sliding the gears to the right to engage them and again the gears are locked and the wheels won't turn. What would be the reason

Advertisement

peteE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:30 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

snow blower mtd runs but doesn't move

Found the problem. The gear train has gears that are stationary and ones that spin freely on the shafts.. One of the freely spinning ones was frozen. This gear has needle bearings with out any way to lubricate it with out taking the gear train apart. My suggestion is to take apart the gear train at least once a year an lubricate those bearings or sooner or later you will have to replace the gears. Just short of a hundred dollars if you do it yourself.

Advertisement

peteE is offline   Reply With Quote