Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-30-2011, 07:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Snow blower loses power to move forward/reverse

Hi I have a MTD 8/26 snowblower with track, runs fine but after about half an hour it loses most of its power to move forward or reverse, everything else is fine, the engine continues to sound normal. I have changed the belts, changed the friction wheel, adjusted the tension on the friction plate.
Thank You

accan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:07 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Changed the oil and gas for the season too? And pulled, cleaned and regapped the spark plug? I do not mean to insult you but I am notorious for looking for bigger problems before pounding my head on a brick and checking the obvious.

I know it is hard to find anymore but real gas makes small engines (and even big ones) happy. Ethanol is the work of the devil when it comes to small gas engines. They are just not built to combust the stuff.

They do sell a compensating additive. Well worth it but it is not cheap. My small engine lawnmower and snow blower guy carried it.

All this talk of snow already is scaring me. Then again, I do live in a building and environment were I do not have to shovel or blow it anymore. You all have fun with your snow blowing machines.

Last edited by user1007; 10-31-2011 at 12:13 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:50 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I would think it is a power transmission issue since you said the engine was running fine, only that the track was weak/not working.
Go to:
http://www.opeonthenet.com/phpBB2/index.php
These guys are fanatics about snow blowers (I guess everyone has to have a hobby).
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:07 PM   #4

Is the control trigger for forward/reverse motion (not the speed control) connected to the machine down below with a thin cable? If you pull the trigger all the way and then pull a little on the cable to the side, does the forward movement improve?
Old 11-02-2011, 09:11 PM   #5

I've played around with the trigger control quite a bit, I've tightened it to the point where the friction wheel and plate are in contact before the trigger is even pulled. In other words the snow blower starts moving as soon as I starts it up.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:44 AM   #6

Have you operated it with the cover removed so you can see the friction plate? Could you see whether the friction wheel and plate are slipping (perhaps due to having gotten wet in half an hour) as opposed to the lack of motion due to slipping somewhere else?
Old 11-04-2011, 06:53 PM   #7

I guess it's possible, I haven't used it yet this year, I will have to pay attention of thats the cause or if its getting wet from some where else.

Thx
Al

Tags
mtd, small engine, snow blower