Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-30-2013, 11:48 AM   #1

Share |

Small yard grading problem

Hello,
I want to regrade my yard but don't know how to get started. After a heavy rain two days ago I noticed a puddle of water outside one of my basement windows. This window faces my side yard and is near the back corner of my house. The ground near this window was also pretty wet/puddled. The current grade of my lawn slopes towards my backyard and when it gets near the back (i.e. by the window) it also starts to slope in towards the window with the lowest point being directly in front of the window. I know from reading forums that the grade should slope about 1 inch for every foot and should extend at least 6 feet away from the foundation. My problem is that my property line for my side yard is only 2-3 feet from my house (and my neighbor's house is also about 3 feet from the property line). What should I do in this situation? I'm a new DIY-er and although I think I can handle regrading the little bit of lawn around the corner from the problem window I can't see a solution for the side of the house. Would a window well help? How would I install one? Also, if it is important, my basement has a sub-pump. Although the basement itself is damp the area near the problem window shows the most water. I have recently extended my gutters to drain further from my foundation but haven't had it rain since this was done.

TAC1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Small yard grading problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAC1977 View Post
Hello,
I want to regrade my yard but don't know how to get started.
You start with measurements: elevations and distances

Quote:
My problem is that my property line for my side yard is only 2-3 feet from my house (and my neighbor's house is also about 3 feet from the property line). What should I do in this situation?
Talk with the neighbor. Get them engaged and then go at the problem together with some sort of central collector.

A trench right on the property line leading to the street or whatever other
safe place there may be for the water to go to. Line the trench with gravel
and drain tile and gravity does the work.

hth

Last edited by TarheelTerp; 05-30-2013 at 12:45 PM.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote