Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2012, 06:07 PM   #1

Share |

small hole by outdoor faucet

I just discovered a small hole by the outdoor faucet. When the faucet is on, the water would leak drain into it. It would fill up a bit then become absorbed. I felt around the hole and it seems pretty solid on the sides (dirt) and a little soft on the bottom, but nothing too soft. I never noticed this before. When double check to see if anything was leaking from the inside and can pretty much confirm the water is runoff from the faucet. Within less than an hour, the hole is dry (faucet is shut off). More info on the faucet, it is one of those winter type faucet where you don't need to shut off any valves. There is also no leakage in the house.

- anyone know what could cause? something to be concerned? to fix it, should I just fill it out with dirt?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
small hole by outdoor faucet-2012-03-29-17.40.49.jpg   small hole by outdoor faucet-2012-03-29-17.42.01.jpg  

need2speed75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:01 PM   #2
DIY staff

Doesn't look like a big concern ---fill it and perhaps add a concrete splash block to keep the water away from the foundation,

The fill around the house may have sunk a bit---check the grading and make sure that rain water is running away from the foundation--

Old 03-29-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
Experienced

Chipmunk? water errosion or as Mike stated fill settlement.

Mark
Old 03-29-2012, 08:17 PM   #4

Hi, thanks for the responses. I'm not sure what is meant by the fill around the foundation means, can you please further explain? Is it possible the ground got so moist that it collapse or sunk? Would the surrounding are go as well? A bit more information, I have bed of rocks surrounding the foundation and the bottom of this hole is extremely soft, extremely muddy. Its been couple hours, since the faucet ran.

Thanks!
Old 03-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #5

The dirt is settling into a void under the house. Add some fill dirt, add the down spout splash tray. Anything will work for fill.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:41 PM   #6
DIY staff

When a house is built the foundation trench is 'back filled' with dirt and clay---this back fill settles in after a few years and can leave you with a low spot all around the foundation.

So check around the house and see if you need to add more dirt so water runs away from the foundation---

Use a level---or your garden hose--or wait for a good heavy rain---is the water pooling at the foundation or running off into the yard?
need2speed75 (03-29-2012)
Old 03-29-2012, 10:06 PM   #7

Thanks..I think the housing inspector mentioned the yard was flat or somewhat slope towards the house. Just for kicks from reading articles, i stuck a small/thin pvc pipe down the hole through the soft mud. The soft mud ended about almost a foot deep from the base of the hole. After about a foot, I hit something solid almost concrete solid (foundation?) Before I get the fill dirt, is this possible that this might be a sinkhole caused by something big?

Thanks again!
Old 03-30-2012, 06:47 AM   #8
DIY staff

I seriously doubt that that opening is anything to worry about---often chunks of wood end up in the back fill----give the fill a few years and the wood rots and leaves a hole.

If you had a leaking pipe under the ground that was eroding the hole--that would be a problem---but this just sounds like one of those things that needs more dirt and call it done--Mike---