Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2008, 08:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Slightly Different Standing Water Question

Similar to edwardle, I have standing water in my yard, but it is not close to the house. I have standing water in back corner of my yard after every rain. I also don't have a good place to send the water if I regrade or to run a drain. I've read on a few websites that a drywell might be the best solution. I seems like a pretty simple solution. Almost to simple... What should I worry about before I go out and start digging holes in my lawn? Can I do this with a post-hole digger, or should I rent a fence post auger?

jlaky2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 0

Slightly Different Standing Water Question

We use a lot of drywells on the golf course when there is no nearby drainage pipe to hook into. The size of the hole depends on the amount of water that tends to stand on this portion of the property. About the only thing you need to check on is of course, electric, gas, and water lines so you don't destroy them. Call before you dig. After that...dig a hole large enough to contain the amount of water you need to drain. You can fill it with something more porous than the natural soil, either sand or pea gravel. I personally like digging with an auger over a post hole digger. One tip, make sure the hole is placed on the lowest point so all water drains to it.

Robert131 is offline   Reply With Quote