Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-16-2011, 12:28 PM   #1

Share |

siezed collector / auger shaft

The collector shaft AKA auger (1st stage)
is seized .
Is it reasonable to think that if I remove the shear pins that it will break loose with normal use .

Then in the spring when hope to replace the end shaft bearings I will not have to heat them to get them apart ?

joshl

joshl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:51 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
Is it reasonable to think that if I remove the shear pins that it will break loose with normal use .
Ayuh,... I guess that would depend on Where it's Siezed....

I doubt it'll work at All with the shear pins removed...

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:16 PM   #3

As I said the collector shaft is seized .
And if it didn't work with the shear pins removed, that would be great, and my objective achieved .

joshl
Old 01-16-2011, 01:25 PM   #4

Do the augers themselves wiggle back and forth on their shaft, limited only by their shear pins (shear bolts)? If so then there is no need to remove the shear pins except to do further general disassembly.

I have questioned the small gear box between the front to back shaft and the auger shaft (some models) but everyone I talked to says that there is no problem there. I had suspected that larger gears would be less apt to have teeth stripped which could be a cause of seizing of both shafts.

By prying with a stick you may be able to determine whether the impeller itself or its shaft is the seized component.

Last edited by AllanJ; 01-16-2011 at 01:31 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:32 PM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
that would be great, and my objective achieved .
Ayuh,... The more times I read your post, the more confused I am, as to what your objective Is.....

Pull the shear pins, 'n there will be No Normal operations...
If the shaft is siezed, it needs to be fixed, before it's Ever used again....

I'm with Allen,... It's more likely the gearbox is junk, rather than the end bearings both being siezed...

'course, everybody but yerself is just Guessin' at whatever this snowblower might be....
At this point, I'm Guessin' it's a 2 stage, How big is it,..?? by Whom,..??
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:03 PM   #6
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshl View Post
The collector shaft AKA auger (1st stage)
is seized .

Then in the spring when hope to replace the end shaft bearings I will not have to heat them to get them apart ?

joshl

Unless you know something you're not sharing, I think you're jumping to conclusions.

If your bearings are actually seized, or your gearbox is out, you almost certainly would have had a lot of "warning." Most snowblowers have a brass bushing as the "bearing" on the auger and blower shafts. When those bushing are dry & worn, they'll wobble & chatter. You will know they're on their last leg.

It's also very possible that your auger/blower gearbox is shot - especially if it's one of those cheaper model blowers. But as with the bushing/bearings, you should have had some warning.

Look closely at the auger to see if something small is jammed in there and has it stuck. That sort of thing happens all the time.

If you find nothing jammed in the auger, go ahead and detach the blower unit from the power unit and begin to dismantle it. You'll eventually find where your problems lies.

BE SURE YOUR ENGINE IS TURNED OFF, THE AUGER ASSEMBLY IS DISENGAGED, AND THERE IS NO CHANCE OF SOMETHING TURNING THE AUGER WHILE YOUR FINGERS ARE IN THERE.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:16 AM   #7

Unhappy

Hopefully none of you have not given up on waiting for my reply, as I was out of town for the weekend.

This snow blower with the seized front collector shaft is a
Ariens ST1032 (10 hp 32" wide) 2 stage

And it does very well about moving snow off of my driveway it removes snow just like any champion would do ( works well )

I have removed the front shear pins, only so that , hopefully that shaft going through the collectors AKA augers will break loose

Has anyone had any luck getting these to break loose by doing this

I have tried to move the collectors by hand and with 2 pry bars one going each direction (with the spark plug wire) removed. But they did not break loose .

hope to hear from you all .

joshl
Old 01-18-2011, 09:23 AM   #8
A Little Of Everything

Josh ~

Are you keeping this in an unheated garage? Did it "seize" while you were using it, or was it seized when you tried to start using it?

You might just have ice frozen in it, and stopping it.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:38 AM   #9

Hello DrHicks

I bought this blower used this past Fall (October 2010) , I am the 2nd owner of it, It was seized then

What I am doing is running the unit with the front shear pins removed and trying to get the collector shaft zerks to take grease ( which they are not taking grease ) .

I have not yet applied a little heat to the collector shaft yet ?

hoping for some more ideas

Thank-you for your reply

joshl

Old 01-18-2011, 11:14 AM   #10

Might try:
http://apache.ariens.com/cgibin/ctrg...2&Site=ARIENSS
to get service manual.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:17 AM   #11
A Little Of Everything

So the impeller spins freely when the auger sheer pins are removed?

Not at all saying that doesn't happen, but wow, those bearings must REALLY be seized tight!

Is your blower built in such a way that you can remove the "outer panels" and, thus, get to the outside auger bearings? On my John Deere, that is possible. If that's the case, your job of replacing them becomes much easier.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:50 PM   #12

Wait a minute. You say the snow blower works?

That means the shafts are not seized in the gear box or end bearings, and neither the augers (collectors) nor the impeller are jammed.

Do you even have a problem?

Last edited by AllanJ; 01-18-2011 at 09:52 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:55 PM   #13

Wait a minute. You say the snow blower works?

That means the shafts are not seized in the gear box or end bearings, and neither the augers (collectors) nor the impeller are jammed.

Do you even have a problem?
Old 01-19-2011, 08:43 AM   #14

Yes the snow blower works very well

The only problem I have if I ever had to do anything inside the front gear box ?

The collectors / augers, would have to slide off the center shaft going through the collector center .

I mean the center shafts going left & right, not the center shaft going to the 2nd stage .

The unit is working very well with the front shear pins removed

AKA The Shaft going through the collectors is not suppose to turn inside the collectors thus the need for the shear pins

But I have the shear pins removed

Is it possible that anyone can remove the shear pins on your own snow blower, they should remove relatively easy and the collectors should spin somewhat free ? ( with engine off spark plug disconnected )

The collectors should not spin by hand with the shear pins installed ( spark plug disconnected )

We then will have a mystery resolved or , you may find that you unknowingly have the same small problem that I have

joshl
Old 01-19-2011, 08:58 AM   #15

I don't get it at all; you say it works fine and then say "you unknowingly have the same small problem that I have "?
If I understand, you've the shear pins/bolts removed from the auger (collector) shaft and they still turn? If so, either they've seized onto the drive shaft or you've missed a shear pin.
I guess your 2nd stage impeller works fine?

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote