Should I Be Worried About This Tree.....rot Near The Roots - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2010, 09:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Exclamation

Should I be worried about this tree.....rot near the roots

So I have this really old, large tree near the house. Provides great shade for the house

But I've noticed this near the bottom. And I can get some of my fingers up in the area, so it's 'hollowed' out a bit. I'm not sure of the correct terminology.

Should I be concerned? I'd hate to have bring down another old tree.

What action should I take? I've read mixing boric acid, glycol, mulch and putting it around the tree to attract ants or termites.

Thanks.

Advertisement

HautingLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:49 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,274

Looks to me that that tree is nearing the end of it's days. You didn't mention the type of tree.
It looks like a soft maple from the bark.

If it's near enough to the house to cause damage if it goes down--I suggest you take it down first.

An arborest could give you an opinion for a fee--might be worth the cost?

If that is a soft maple they are famous for getting hollow --and then falling apart during a storm.--Mike--

Advertisement

oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Looks to me that that tree is nearing the end of it's days. You didn't mention the type of tree.
It looks like a soft maple from the bark.

If it's near enough to the house to cause damage if it goes down--I suggest you take it down first.

An arborest could give you an opinion for a fee--might be worth the cost?

If that is a soft maple they are famous for getting hollow --and then falling apart during a storm.--Mike--

Hmmm.....not what I was hoping to hear. Last fall I had to drop 3 trees.....one was half gone (literally the bottom half was gone), one was hollowed out, and one had ants/termites on the top half.

I just recently got around to splitting and stacking the wood, then finding someone to take all the branches. Didn't realize just how much work it was going to be......splitting, stacking, waste, etc.

I don't have a good pic of the tree, but I may end up calling an arborist....sigh. I don't think it's a maple though.........ash possibly?

Last edited by HautingLu; 04-17-2010 at 11:17 PM.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:36 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,274

Wrong bark for an ash--sorry. I feel for you--I had to take down an important tree that shaded my living room windows.

I took 7 or 8 years for the new trees to keep the house cool.

I planted the trees several years before I took down the big old one.

I did wait to long on one lightning struck tree---cost me a new set of gutters! They needed replacing any way.

Good luck--maybe that old girl will stand long enough for you to get a replacement established-----Mike---
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:29 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,234

Looks like a Silver maple to me and yes it is potentially dangerous. An arborist should be able to drill into it and see just how far the rot has progressed and then you will know for sure.When I worked with a tree co, we did this for free but that was many years ago.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:26 AM   #6

The leaf at the bottom of the tree appears as though it is maple but who says it belongs to the tree. Looks like silver maple to me.
What is the rest of the tree doing? Do you have dead branches up top? Do you get a lot of sticks falling from it?
I love old trees and I am sorry for your potential loss but maybe a tree company can thin it out aggresively, possible treatment/fertilizers.
If the root system is begining to fail then a smaller canopy would allow the good roots to feed the tree better maximizing the life of your tree.
The price of an inspection and or treatment could be way less than the resulting increase in your cooling cost should the tree be removed.
Bushman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bushman For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (04-18-2010)
Old 04-18-2010, 09:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
The leaf at the bottom of the tree appears as though it is maple but who says it belongs to the tree. Looks like silver maple to me.
What is the rest of the tree doing? Do you have dead branches up top? Do you get a lot of sticks falling from it?
I love old trees and I am sorry for your potential loss but maybe a tree company can thin it out aggresively, possible treatment/fertilizers.
If the root system is begining to fail then a smaller canopy would allow the good roots to feed the tree better maximizing the life of your tree.
The price of an inspection and or treatment could be way less than the resulting increase in your cooling cost should the tree be removed.
I'll post some pictures later (debris guy is on his way to get all the junk from the previous 3 trees).

As far as dead branches and sticks failing, it doesn't seem like it's any more than the typical wind/storm stuff failing off. Though on 1 or 2 3" branches have come off. There is good leaf coverage above.

Again, I'll try to post some pics when its sunny out. Hard to get any with overcast.

Thanks.

Advertisement