Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-09-2010, 09:42 AM   #1

Share |

Should I mow it after this heat?

This may be a beginner question, but I am a beginner homeowner

I live in NY, where we've just had a stretch of days in the upper 90's, no rain. I mowed my lawn about a week ago, right before all the heat came. The lawn is not completely dead, although it has lost some of its color, it is a mixture of greens and browns now. We're supposed to get heavy thunderstorms tonight. Would I be better off mowing it before the storm hits, or letting it go until it dries up afterwards, which looks to be a few days. As far as length, it is at the point where I'd like to mow it again (I don't take off more than 1/3). It seems like once it rains, the grass grows really fast, to the point where I either have to raise the mower, or bag it.

Durt Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:50 AM   #2

I just mowed mine since we are supposed to get thunderstorms the next 2 days

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:15 AM   #3

I too lived thru recent bout of triple digits...I am hoping to cut Saturday, giving time for slight recoop b4 storms brew!! Hot Hot Hot!!!

Nbr mowed the other day, slinging up dust storms...
Han'D' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:30 PM   #4

With the high temps and no rain in site, I'm letting the lawn go, starting to brown out front, I hate the tall weeds but I hate burnt grass even more,, and no, I'm not watering it. A heavy thunderstorm will roll off before it has time to soak in, ground is getting hard from the heat.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:14 PM   #5
Wire Chewer

I usually mow it anyway, and put the sprinkler on for a few hours. They say it's not good to put the sprinkler on when it's hot, but it can't be any worse then no water at all. Best to do it late evening/night. It rains a lot here, so it's very rare I have to water mine.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:46 PM   #6

I'm under the impression that leaving the grass long places more demand on the root system in drought times and that it should be kept cut. Somewhere I read recommended lengths for lawn grass during different times of the spring, summer and fall but do not remember what those recommendations are. I have lived with my current lawn for about 15 years and find that it thrives best on neglect. Yes, it will brown up in drought but it always comes back after a good rain. It has never made much difference when I mow, if it needs it, it gets mowed. I have also heard that sprinkler systems create a lawn that has a shallow root system and is dependent on daily waterings.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim F View Post
I'm under the impression that leaving the grass long places more demand on the root system in drought times and that it should be kept cut. Somewhere I read recommended lengths for lawn grass during different times of the spring, summer and fall but do not remember what those recommendations are. I have lived with my current lawn for about 15 years and find that it thrives best on neglect. Yes, it will brown up in drought but it always comes back after a good rain. It has never made much difference when I mow, if it needs it, it gets mowed. I have also heard that sprinkler systems create a lawn that has a shallow root system and is dependent on daily waterings.
What I've read/heard is to let the grass grow a little higher to protect the roots, but that doesn't mean to stop watering.

Also, the lower you cut, the more dirt is exposed, which could allow weed seeds to get to the soil and grow.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:51 PM   #8
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim F View Post
I have also heard that sprinkler systems create a lawn that has a shallow root system and is dependent on daily waterings.
it depends on how you use the sprinkler. If you do short frequent waterings, then yes, you will cause the roots to not grow. If you do a longer watering but less often, you will cause the roots to grow deeper.

The grass needs water to grow and will adapt to the circumstances. If it doesn't need to grow deep roots, it won't. By watering longer but less often, you provide water but as the surface moisture is depleted, the roots will grow to reach the deeper moisture.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:41 PM   #9

I guess if you are the type who wants you lawn green all summer then do what Nap suggested, infrequent, long soaks. I have never had my grass die and need to be replaced in this clamate for want of water. Is goes brown like it recently did but is greening up nice now that we've had some rain.

Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote