DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Should I cut down this tree?

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  user1007 
#1 ·
I have a maple tree about 2 feet from my house. The tree is not that large (about 8 feet) but worried that the roots might damage the foundation.

Should I remove the tree?

I was thinking of cutting it down to about 3 feet and try to keep it managable, but not sure if the roots will cause a problem.

One picture shows the maple tree that I have about 2 feet from a window. The other picture shows two smaller maple trees that I have next to a cement walkway, which might cause a problem also.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Agree. They are a smaller species of maple but still not appropriate for that space between the house and fence. I don't like the way those others are planted right up to the fence either but leave them alone for now.

Part of me wishes you could rescue them. They look healthy. Depending on the species, they might make nice container trees.
The trees are healthy. I thought I might be able to cut the roots by digging down a foot or so. I thought the maple has shallow roots, but I could be wrong.

If I can't cut the roots, any idea what I should replace it with so I can have some privacy from the neighbors?

#3 ·
Agree. They are a smaller species of maple but still not appropriate for that space between the house and fence. I don't like the way those others are planted right up to the fence either but leave them alone for now.

Part of me wishes you could rescue them. They look healthy. Depending on the species, they might make nice container trees.

#6 ·
Personally I dont like any of them in that small a space Too close to the house, too close to the fence. Over time you're going to have issues with either roots, leaves in gutters, or the trees themselves encrouching on the house and the fence. Look into your crystal ball and see how that tree will get bigger, thicker and the likely issues you could have with your neighbor too. In the future it will be that much harder to remove so its probably best to correct the problem now before they get too big. I hate to take down any healthy tree, but those trees just aren't right for that small space. If you still have Qs, contact an arborist to come out and take a look.

#7 ·
Personally I dont like any of them in that small a space Too close to the house, too close to the fence. Over time you're going to have issues with either roots, leaves in gutters, or the trees themselves encrouching on the house and the fence. Look into your crystal ball and see how that tree will get bigger, thicker and the likely issues you could have with your neighbor too. In the future it will be that much harder to remove so its probably best to correct the problem now before they get too big. I hate to take down any healthy tree, but those trees just aren't right for that small space. If you still have Qs, contact an arborist to come out and take a look.
I'll take them out this fall.

Any idea what I should replace it with? I would like to have something to cover the window for privacy. I currently leave the shade open and the leaves block out the neighbors.

I was thinking of a lattice that I could grow vines on but not sure a lattice a few feet from the window is a good idea.

#8 ·
Podacarpus would be a nice California choice for a narrow space like that and the roots should not threaten the foundation. They are easy to shape (even into poodle shaped things popular in your part of the world) and evergreen with long graceful leaves. They tend to resist insects and diseases. They tend to grow taller rather than wider which would be great for that space of yours.

A tall form of Nandina would be a possibility. If you are in Southern California but near the water you can probably plant most ornamental ficus trees in that space. If you are inland I suspect it will be too hot and dry.

Both fall more into the tall shrub, rather than tree class, which is what you should be focusing on I think for such a narrow space. Their may be dwarf species of trees worth looking at but getting around them is going to be your challenge.

Don't cringe, but I used to plant a lot of bamboo in landscapes I designed in California. If it gets away from you, you might as well pack up and move because some species are very invasive. You can contain even the worst of them if you plant them inside of a PVC or concrete/clay drainpipe retaining ring deep enough to keep their runners from spreading. Some of the dwarf clumping type species are quite beautiful, easy to grow, and will never pose a problem. Dwarf black bamboo comes to mind.

You might think about some honeycomb window treatments if privacy is an issue until the new plants grow up.

If you don't have a copy, you will thank me for recommending the Sunset Western Garden Book to you. It will set you back $20 but has tons of useful information including different planting guides.

Hopefully you still have a real nursery or two near you. I would stop by and chat them up a bit. They deserve your business and will have people other than minimum wage apron wearing dweebs to assist you. Many have onboard design departments as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.