Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2011, 04:56 PM   #1

Share |

Short Retaining Wall - Footer

we are building a continuation of an existing wall. Wall is about three blocks above ground and one block below. Existing area behind the wall is not failing - building the wall for comestic purposes to give a cleaner look.

question is, do i need to pour a footer?

Challenge of pouring a footer, there is a concrete patio that is being poured which will be next to the wall (i wanted the slab to start right where the wall was going to be). So, if we set up the forms, there will be a gap between footer and the patio. Can we put the wall so only a portion of the wall is on the form and a portion is in the dirt? Can we pour the footer using the dirt on the patio side as the "form"?

any ideas?

here is a picture of the existing wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Short Retaining Wall - Footer-unnamed.jpg  

jkim8520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:27 AM   #2
Stay-at-home GC

Where are you located?

Is that traditional mortared block existing?

Does it have a footer?

Could you pour the slab with a thicker edge 'under' where the wall will be, then set your block on top of the slab?

Some days, my Life needs a Rewind/Erase Button.

Last edited by CplDevilDog; 06-03-2011 at 05:30 AM.
CplDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:49 AM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Looks like SW part of the U.S. judging by the block.

Pouring a slab with a thickened edge will not work inless you want to buy half high block to maintain the coursing. Sawing regular height block to a partial height is possible, but using the same construction with a poured foor at the same elevation will be easier and probably cheaper. Then , just pour the patio slab up to and covering the bottom half of the first block, just as the existing.

Make sure you can get more matching block before going too far.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:27 AM   #4

We are in southern cal...patio is all teed up for the pour, no chance to modify the patio footings.

Was thinking about using those Garden Block Walls sold at home depot which do not require footing or mortor. of course the it will not be uniform, but that portion of the yard isn't really used by anyone so I think I can live with that cosmetic flaw.

If I do use the Garden Block Walls, do I need to do anything different for the blocks adjacent to the existing wall?

thx,

Joe
Attached Images

jkim8520 is offline   Reply With Quote