DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Landscaping & Lawn Care (
-   -   Severe Drainage from road to Home (

Herb2832 09-09-2010 07:29 AM

Severe Drainage from road to Home
Have recently purchased a 35 year old home that faces a road.
Home is 75 feet from road. The road is approximately 5 feet higher than the Home.
We have severe rain sometimes and the drainage is toward home.
Have installed channel drain in front of garage.

Should we install channel drains at the road and front of driveway?

Pic's to follow.


jackofmany 09-09-2010 09:26 AM

Channel drains would work but where are they going to dump? Can you run the PVC around your house or are you going to have to go with French Drains. Topographical map of your property is pretty much needed unless it's just plain obvious where the water will lay - and where it has to go.

Here in the low country of SC, pretty much every road, even if it's level with or a tad lower than your yard, will have a swail or "ditch" for lack of a better term, adjacent and parallel to it. Reason being - we get rains that dump 5 inches in one hour at times when these depressions move through. Of course our soil is pretty sandy and what pools on the yard will perk in an hour even after a bad blow. Well - not like Hugo. Anyhow-

Sounds like you might look into having some grading done - of course you'll have to see if there are ordainces and such that prohit common sense in your area, But hopefully, your ground perks well and you'll be able to create a swail to protect your investment. It would be even better if you could redirect that water, but thats a whole different can of worms. Check to see if there are any water easements involved. Also - width of right of way. Five feet below the road surface at 75 foot away is a might much. Does the otherside of the road have the same topography? Are there storm drains? I can't imagine someone laying out those plot plans and not compensating for the run off. Are you in the country, or development? Just curious on that.

Herb2832 09-09-2010 01:35 PM

Pic of Front of House
This is a pic of front of house -

Note the severe drop off and angle leading to our home.[IMG]http...o/100_3301.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http...o/100_3301.jpg

federer 09-16-2010 12:18 AM

pics would help

oh'mike 09-16-2010 06:33 AM

Herb, Call your local road commission---They are in charge of the roads draining properly--

Might help--might not-----

I had to build a small berm across the front of my property and raise the driveway to keep the water out after the neighboring village added a new subdivisions water to our little country ditch.

Eventually they added a sewer line---but not before a few near misses with flooding yards and basements.----Mike---

jackofmany 09-16-2010 11:03 AM

Referring to Mike's post. If ordinances exist, most Zoning ordinances and if not, the Sub-division and Land Development ordinance usually refer to run off. Specifically, they mention that no one can change a piece of property or structure in such a way that it creates more water run-off on another property. Just an FYI thing.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:20 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1