Settling Of Backfilled Slope - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2010, 11:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

settling of backfilled slope

I had extensive work done to my riverbank to prevent further erosion along the length of my back yard. The contractor used rock rip-rap at the base and a series of soil lifts to gain height (about 20'-25' altogether). The problem is that the backfill at the top settled about two feet along the entire length (about 125') of the project. The contractor said that was likely caused by settling due to heavy rain. However, even after adding more soil at the top, within about two weeks the soil had settled about 18 inches, and there had been no rain. My concern is that the entire construction may be tilting toward the river, as there appears to be a clear break line along the top.

Advertisement

Last edited by User84668; 07-20-2010 at 11:49 AM. Reason: I Decided not to post the message.
User84668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

settling of backfilled slope

Get a few long length's of rebar (as long as you can find 8' +) and pound them into the ground, straight down but leave a fair chunk sticking straight out of the ground. Try to keep all of them forming a nice straight line. Measure the distance from each one to each other, and measure all of them relative to some fixed location (house corner, tree, etc). Record the measurements, take photos and monitor, then let us (& the contractor) know if they are moving.

Advertisement

Troglodyte is offline   Reply With Quote