Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-04-2009, 09:02 PM   #1

Share |

settled sidewalk - help

Hi, my sidewalk is not broken, but settled on one side only (the side near the lawn is fine, but the side near the road is settled by 4 inches). Apart from the settling, its not broken. The settling is pretty much even along the perephery (along the road side).
How do I fix this? Do I have to break/remove the entire sidewalk and then pour the new concrete mix? or can I use the same settled sidewalk as the base and pour concrete (quikrete) over it? What will the problem be, if I do it the this way?
Please give me a solution... thank you all

saturn78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:56 AM   #2
TooledUp

settled sidewalk - help

Check with some of your local concrete companies. Some of them have a process where they drill holes and then pump concrete under the existing concrete to lift if back up.

TooledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:15 AM   #3
DIY Hack

settled sidewalk - help

I had this problem at a house I used to own. There was a chance we were going to be moving in the near future, so I wanted to keep costs low. what I ended up doing was digging down along the sloped side, i then used a 6' slate bar, and a log as a fulcrum and lifted the sagging edge high enough to toss in a couple shovel fulls of sand and gravel. Then i simply repeated the process a few times, until i was able to get the sidewalk up to a respectable level.

It took a while, but wasn't hard work, and literally cost me nothing ( but i did bend my slate bar).

I did this about 6 months before we ended up putting the house on the market and it held up great as of the day we moved out. no idea if it has sagged again since.

Last edited by Mr Chips; 09-09-2009 at 09:17 AM.
Mr Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:32 AM   #4

settled sidewalk - help

Thanks for the response Chips. Not many people will like to hear this, but I'm willing to repeat what you did every 6 months, if it doesn't cost me anything
Unfortunately, in my case, the sagged side of the sidewalk abuts the road and the kerb on the edge hasn't settled. I'll have to look for innovative ways to deal with this as money is hard to come now a days.
saturn78 is offline   Reply With Quote