Setting Paver Stone - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2012, 05:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,038
Question

setting paver stone

i have several patches of dirt in my mostly concrete backyard that i would like to cover with paver stone so that weeds don't grow out of it. i am not much of a landscaper and prefer being surrounded with surfaces from which unwanted plants cannot grow.

so i was wondering what i should do to prepare the ground for paver stones. can i just set them over top of dirt or should i perhaps put some weed block first and then a later of gravel on top and then paver stones? basically, what is the most effective sequence of layers?

thanks

Advertisement

amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:48 PM   #2
Special User

Rewards Points: 632

setting paver stone

I'm no expert but I have put down pavers on bare dirt. Weeds and grass grew through the joints, and since I live in an area that freezes in the winter, I got a little frost heave. A base layer of anything that provides good drainage like gravel and maybe sand should reduce frost heave.

My thought is that after laying down the pavers, regardless of any weed barrier you'll need to throw down sand and vibrate it into the joints for weed control. Otherwise wind-blown dust gets into the joints and becomes soil that lets the weeds get started.

Advertisement

tylernt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

setting paver stone

I say a min. 4" of stone dust and then the pavers...you'll always get weeds in the cracks though...

Tags
pavers