Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2011, 11:48 PM   #1
US ARMY RETIRED

Share |

seeding a hill?

Our front yard is a pretty good slope. It drops about 10 feet over a 40 foot run. There are several mature trees along the edves wbich completely shade the yard in the summer. Currentl I have moss, dirt, a few rocks, and grub worms. Of course the moles get after the grubs.

I don't need or want anything fancy. I just don't know where to start.

Please help.
Thank you.
ACR_SCOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:56 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

seeding a hill?

Hydroseeding is perfect for slopes. It is most often used for turfgrasses but nothing says the seed cannot be something else. In many places it is used on things as steep as freeway/expressway enbankments. The process mixes seed with fertilizer and a mulch crust. In operation all is sprayed on and almost looks like guniting a swimming pool or something.

For turfgrass it will establish and look better than sod in a fraction of the time and is much, much cheaper.

Obviously with that sort of slope you will have enhanced watering needs so think about what you want planted.

You can Google hydroseeding or hydromulching to find a contractor in your area. I guess you can rent the equipment in some places but by the time you factor in learning curve and cleaning it all up before you return it, it is really not worth it.

You did not mention how many square feet or millions of acres you have to seed? If yours is a small job, you will do well to be schedule flexible and let the contractor handle your project when in the area doing other work.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:04 AM   #3
US ARMY RETIRED

seeding a hill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester
You did not mention how many square feet or millions of acres you have to seed? If yours is a small job, you will do well to be schedule flexible and let the contractor handle your project when in the area doing other work.
Ooopsy.

The area might be 60'x60'.
ACR_SCOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:15 PM   #4

seeding a hill?

Wanting advice on planting ground cover on a rocky slope near water. Wanting to do it as cheap as possible. Thanks-
Lakefrontliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:24 PM   #5

seeding a hill?

Lake front you need to go back and post your own question or just watch what happens on this one.
No way to keep track of whos talking to who when there's two people posting at the same time.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:28 PM   #6

seeding a hill?

If it's that steep are you going to be able to mow it?
If it's going to be unsafe to mow may want to go with ground cover instead.
If you want to go with grass your goinf to have to get the soild tested first to see what it needs.
A good site to ask questions on anything to do with lawns is Scott.com.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:41 AM   #7
A Little Of Everything

seeding a hill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACR_SCOUT View Post
Our front yard is a pretty good slope. It drops about 10 feet over a 40 foot run. There are several mature trees along the edves wbich completely shade the yard in the summer. Currentl I have moss, dirt, a few rocks, and grub worms. Of course the moles get after the grubs.

I don't need or want anything fancy. I just don't know where to start.

Please help.
Thank you.
First of all, what kind of trees are these, and are they completely shading the area? Too much shade will make it extremely difficult to grow grass of any kind. Also, some trees put off their own "herbicide." If this area gets no sun, you should probably look into landscaped ground cover rather than grass.

Next, you need to deal with the grubs/moles or your front lawn will always look like a lunar landscape.

If you want to start "on the cheap" I'd suggest picking up a bag of good grass seed, a bag of fertilizer, and going at it. Rough & smooth the area with a garden rake, sow both the seed & fertilizer, and work both into the loose topsoil. Soak the entire area (don't flood it) twice daily. You'll need to do this for a couple weeks before you see much grass. Once the grass starts growing, cut back to one soaking per day.

You may end up wanting to landscape & do all manner of nicer things at a later date, but this will get you started.

Last edited by DrHicks; 01-17-2012 at 07:45 AM.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote