Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-13-2010, 03:34 PM   #1

Share |

Sears Blower - No Fuel & Primer colapses

I have a Sears handheld blower about 15 years old. Ran pretty good until recently. Believe I put bad gas in it while at my father-in-laws (I'm now more stupid then he ;-)). Now it does not start. If I manually inject gas into the carbuerator throat it runs until it is exhausted.
I dumped all the bad gas out of the tank. I took the unit apart and replaced al the fuels lines. I had the carbuerator out but stopped short of actually disassembling. I prayed some carbuerator cleaner into various external openings. I can see their is no fuel in the lines. When I pump the primer bulb it creates a suction and colapses from a vaccum. If I remove the return fuel line from the carbuerator the bulb inflates as the vaccum is released.

Does it sound as if my carbuerator is clogged internally?
dac93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:13 AM   #2

Sorry that I can't be more specific, not having it in front of me, and not being able to formulate a full picture in my mind, but it sounds to me like the either the fuel line or the vent in the fuel cap is plugged. I'd clean the cap good first, and then, although not sure how to get to it on your particular engine, see if there is a screen or other type of filter media in the bottom of the tank. I believe that either of these conditions could prevent fuel from flowing, and could cause the situation that you described in regard to the primer bulb.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:37 AM   #3

DexterII,

Thanks for your response. However, I replaced the fuel lines and I have attempted to start the engine with the fuel cap off (it is not clogged). Attached to the fuel line in the fuel tank there is what seems to be a ceramic (not sure of material) porous type filter. I attached a fuel line to this and squirted carbuerator cleaner through it and it flowed well (not clogged). Also the colapsed primer bulb frees when I disconnect what I believe is the return line from from the carbuerator side.
dac93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dac93 View Post
DexterII,

Thanks for your response. However, I replaced the fuel lines and I have attempted to start the engine with the fuel cap off (it is not clogged). Attached to the fuel line in the fuel tank there is what seems to be a ceramic (not sure of material) porous type filter. I attached a fuel line to this and squirted carbuerator cleaner through it and it flowed well (not clogged). Also the colapsed primer bulb frees when I disconnect what I believe is the return line from from the carbuerator side.

sounds like the pickup tube in the fuel tank is clogged... or possibly the vent in the gas cap.
moondawg is offline   Reply With Quote