Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-08-2011, 03:37 PM   #1

Share |

sealing pavers?

We live in central FL and have pavers around our pool. Beginning to have some weeds appear and am thinking about sealing as i was told this would prevent the weeds as the sand gets sealed also. The problem with that is I like how fast the water drains after a heavy downpour. While we have a drain channel I suspect the draining between pavers helps a lot - would draining take longe if the pavers/sand was sealed? Also would the surface be slippier when wet? I would not think that would be a good thing around a pool. Thanks!

royhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:26 AM   #2

sealing pavers?

I think you'd be better off with a spray bottle of weed killer...

Bud Cline (08-09-2011)
Old 08-09-2011, 09:54 AM   #3

sealing pavers?

Thanks for the reply. That is my thought also - problem is my bride of 29 years likes the look of sealed pavers and I would like some back up for my thoughts that the drainage would be hampered and that it might be slippery.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:48 PM   #4

sealing pavers?

Then I would agree that the likely won't drain as well. Depending on the saturation of the sealer into the pavers, there may be a chance for a glossy type of finish which will increase the slip coefficient. Also, if that "gloss" is there, then it will eventually crack and peel (all paints do) and that won't likely have an attractive appearance.

If you want a crackless, sealed, weed-free surface, take out the pavers and pour a stained/stamped concrete pad. It can look like pavers and will last much longer than the sealer your thinking of.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:32 PM   #5
NACE Coating Inspector

sealing pavers?

I love to look of stamped concrete too, I've stamped hundreds of pool decks in Florida. I've seal lots of paver too. Sealing pavers will help protect them from losing their aggregates and fading due to erosion and UV rays. clear sealers will enhance the colors also. If you use a solvent sealer/stain it will help a little for weeds and loss of sand and it may slow down the drainage for a short time. If your pool deck is pitched properly,your decko drain should handle regular drainage even with todays downpour.
mustangmike3789 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:35 PM   #6
Concrete & Masonry

sealing pavers?

In your case, I'd recommend this stuff:

http://www.prosoco.com/productdetail.asp?ID={F4A7414E-1EF2-47EA-A815-A97A2AFBA9C2}

It won't help with the sand in the joints, but it also won't slow down the drainage, but it will enhance the brick no doubt. Very easy to work with & looks good when you're done..............
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:54 PM   #7

sealing pavers?

Thanks for all the replies! I'm going to look into the suggested product but 1st it's time for some weedkiller or maybe my butane torch (just read about that).