Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-01-2011, 11:15 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Sand and patio pavers.

I am preparing base for laying down pavers. I got 3/4- base down and compacted in 3 layers totalling slightly over 4 inches.
The problem is that I didnt have enough of it and in the middle I have couple of big spots 1-2 inches below the rest. I was able to have 3ft around theedge to get to correct level as well as about 50% of the middle area.
Now is the question: do I have to get more crushed stone base and compact it again or can I just use torpedo sand that I plan to use for top 1 inch to fill the low spots? I probably need around 0.5-1 cubic yard of material to fill low spots so ordering big truck is not reasonable and buying bags at retail will be expensive. (Total 3/4- base that I have there so far is 8 yards which was the max for delivery truck)
Thank you.

knifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:39 AM   #2

Sand and patio pavers.

Hi knifer,

I'm in the proces of building my first walkway, so I can only relate what I've researched. People have said NOT to fill in low spots with sand. You must add the crusher run base material.

Regards,

Bill

fabnavigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:31 AM   #3
Civil Engineer

Sand and patio pavers.

You have a small amount to fill, so as long as you adequately compact the sand you should be fine, considering you already have a good base of crushed stone down. Regardless of what you use, a small amount of movement of the pavers should be anticipated. We did an entire brick walkway using about 2 feet of sand (compacted) close to 15 years ago, no significant movement.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote