Rust Stains On Concrete Sidewalk - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-05-2009, 02:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Rust Stains on Concrete Sidewalk

I have a severe problem with rust stains appearing on the sidewalk in front of my house.

I've had the sprinkler system checked, & PVC piping was used with standard Rainbird heads. No other house on the block seems to have this problem. I can't figure out what is causing this problem... The HOA is getting ready to fine me for the rusted sidewalk in front, but I've had it pressure washed repeatedly, and scrubbed with vinegar & undiluted lemon juice. I have not used muratic acid yet, because I do not want to damage the sidewalk.

Any suggestions?

Advertisement

mcourry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:51 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Rust Stains on Concrete Sidewalk

Are you using a fertilizer with something like iron sulphate in it by chance? This will cause rust stains. Is there metal buried that is oxidizing and leaching on to the sidwalk?

Found this in a quick search but know nothing about it personally.

http://www.theruststore.com/Concrete...FAQ-W46C2.aspx

Otherwise, look for products with oxalic, not muratic (will etch the concrete), acid for getting rust stains out of concrete.

Advertisement

Last edited by user1007; 10-05-2009 at 05:12 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote