Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2008, 09:32 PM   #1
New Home Owner

Share |

Rubber Playground Mulch

Looking for advice using rubber playground mulch under a residential play set. Location is Tucson, AZ.

Here, sand tends to get and stay quite hot and of course is tracked inside very easily. Rapid decomposition and temperature issues are probably why I never see wood chips here at public playgrounds. I'm not sure why pea gravel is not in favor but I can honestly say no playgrounds here use it. Most public playgrounds have a mixture of rubberized mats and sand.

Has anyone used rubber playground mulch? It seems there are a multitude of companies and other than requesting samples from each one, I'm at a loss to find an easy way of choosing among them.

drquell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:42 AM   #2
Landscape contractor

Rubber Playground Mulch

I've used rubber mulch several times, both on residential play areas. I got mine from a local mulch supplier who special ordered it. Make sure the manufacturer is reputable and they guaratee that it is metal-free. The stuff is ungodly expensive. The job I did this year called for 11.5 yrds of dyed brown rubber mulch. It was 6k wholesale! I used about a 6 inch depth. Unfortunately, it does heat up considerably. It comes in large bulk bags that fit one per pallet. I think it was 2-2.5 yrds each. I'll try and get a company name and some pics for you. How many sq.ft. are you doing?

timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:04 PM   #3
New Home Owner

Rubber Playground Mulch

400 sq ft is the approximate area and I'm looking to cover it at a 4" depth which for most rubber mulches looks appropriate for up to an 8 foot fall height. The local play system place quoted me almost 3.5k, but I can find it from at least 3 different places for under 2k delivered. Most companies say they are 99 to 99.9 percent metal free.

I hadn't heard about the heat issue, but am looking for a blue or green color which might absorb less heat than black?
drquell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:16 PM   #4
Landscape contractor

Rubber Playground Mulch

That's a great price, I'd jump on that. That should be around 5 cuyrds. I would think the lighter colors would have to be cooler. Let me know how it turns out, or send some pics!
timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:09 AM   #5

Rubber Playground Mulch

I'm building a house in Tucson too- let me know what you find out. Are you going with a Rainbow playground?
chillout7655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:46 PM   #6

Rubber Playground Mulch

Around my area, certain scaly animals (snakes) like rubber mulch cause it hold heat so well. you may want to take that in consideration.
clmasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:52 PM   #7
so-elitecrete

Rubber Playground Mulch

instances in tx recently where the mulch caught on fire or was that cellulose groundcover instead ? ? ?
so-elitecrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:19 PM   #8

Rubber Playground Mulch

I found this website www.etbrubber.com. They sell and install for 2.50 a square foot plus $125 delivery charge. This is the best deal I have found.
rivset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 07:36 PM   #9

Rubber Playground Mulch

I spoke with this company yesterday. They ship from New Jersey. Pallet of 40 50-lb bags will cover a 500 sq ft area. They have a calculator to help figure out what you need. I am posting also the link to their colour options. Depending on your state, there are HUGE discounts.

http://www.permalife.com
http://www.permalife.com/colors.htm

TuckerJon is offline   Reply With Quote