Roses Question - Landscaping & Lawn Care - Page 2 - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2011, 12:30 PM   #16
Don't know it all, yet!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Metro Atlanta, GA
Posts: 910
Rewards Points: 500
Default

roses question


dinosaur,
Sorry for not answering sooner.

A. The roses I posted are knockouts.
B. The tree just behind the roses is a mature sugar maple. From the camera's perspective there is a redbud and a couple of oaks.
C. The photo with the smallest roses is on the west side of this park but they are directly under the canopy of some very old oak trees.

In this situation, the trees will always win when fighting for water. However, in your yard there should not be nearly the competition. Also, there is plenty of light and room for knockouts to thrive there. Something else is going on. I would try to get my local extension agent or a master gardener to come out on-site and help you.

In my opinion, landscaping is a lot like your wardrobe. Different people like different things. Some things obviously don't go together but that is another story. Personally, I would leave the one bed around both the light pole and the tree. But I like clumps. For one thing, maintenance is much easier that way.

Advertisement

__________________
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right. If you wouldn't put your name on it, it ain't done right!
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:14 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,038
Rewards Points: 500
Default

roses question


Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
dinosaur,
Sorry for not answering sooner.

A. The roses I posted are knockouts.
B. The tree just behind the roses is a mature sugar maple. From the camera's perspective there is a redbud and a couple of oaks.
C. The photo with the smallest roses is on the west side of this park but they are directly under the canopy of some very old oak trees.

In this situation, the trees will always win when fighting for water. However, in your yard there should not be nearly the competition. Also, there is plenty of light and room for knockouts to thrive there. Something else is going on. I would try to get my local extension agent or a master gardener to come out on-site and help you.

In my opinion, landscaping is a lot like your wardrobe. Different people like different things. Some things obviously don't go together but that is another story. Personally, I would leave the one bed around both the light pole and the tree. But I like clumps. For one thing, maintenance is much easier that way.
roses question-yard1.jpg
roses question-yard2.jpg

The flower carpet roses are in the middle. After 2 yrs look at how small they are after Spring. Do you think I should make a circle around the lightpole and tree and put grass sod in the middle or would that look weird? If I take out the carpet roses there will be so much empty space in the middle there.
dinosaur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:43 PM   #18
Don't know it all, yet!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Metro Atlanta, GA
Posts: 910
Rewards Points: 500
Default

roses question


Nice turf!

I'm still having some question as to why things aren't growing well there. It looks like the tree is doing fairly well and it is not large enough yet to effect the bed, especially since it doesn't see to be taking nutrients from the lawn at all. I can't get away from the thinking that something is amiss with the soil immediately surrounding the smaller plants. That said, there is a saying, "sleep, creep, leap." For the most part, when you plant permanent material, the first year they need to get new roots established. If they look healthy, be satisfied. The second year they will begin to grow some and take off the next year. Some roses, such as hybrid teas, will grow faster because that is their nature. But even at that, they need a year of two to get established.

At the risk of overstepping, I presume you are aware that carpet roses are essentially a ground cover. They will get nowhere as large as the knockouts. Thinking back, those I posted are probably about five years old. So if yours are doing well, I wouldn't be overly concerned. However, since you said that even hostas are having trouble there, that worries me a little. But, hostas will tolerate some sun but really like more shade unless irrigated well.

A design idea since you asked:
I like the practice of allowing walkways, driveways, etc to go through a garden as opposed to bordering one edge. Without a photo of the area to the right (I presume between the front door and drive) I could see continuing the bed across the walkway where the walkway in effect goes through the bed so that, instead of passing by, one enjoys the trip through. I would maybe leave one mower strip of lawn beside the driveway going toward the street from the back of the car.

PS
Looking from the camera position, where is north?
__________________
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right. If you wouldn't put your name on it, it ain't done right!

Last edited by downunder; 05-18-2011 at 07:48 PM.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:51 PM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,038
Rewards Points: 500
Default

roses question


Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder
Nice turf!

I'm still having some question as to why things aren't growing well there. It looks like the tree is doing fairly well and it is not large enough yet to effect the bed, especially since it doesn't see to be taking nutrients from the lawn at all. I can't get away from the thinking that something is amiss with the soil immediately surrounding the smaller plants. That said, there is a saying, "sleep, creep, leap." For the most part, when you plant permanent material, the first year they need to get new roots established. If they look healthy, be satisfied. The second year they will begin to grow some and take off the next year. Some roses, such as hybrid teas, will grow faster because that is their nature. But even at that, they need a year of two to get established.

At the risk of overstepping, I presume you are aware that carpet roses are essentially a ground cover. They will get nowhere as large as the knockouts. Thinking back, those I posted are probably about five years old. So if yours are doing well, I wouldn't be overly concerned. However, since you said that even hostas are having trouble there, that worries me a little. But, hostas will tolerate some sun but really like more shade unless irrigated well.

A design idea since you asked:
I like the practice of allowing walkways, driveways, etc to go through a garden as opposed to bordering one edge. Without a photo of the area to the right (I presume between the front door and drive) I could see continuing the bed across the walkway where the walkway in effect goes through the bed so that, instead of passing by, one enjoys the trip through. I would maybe leave one mower strip of lawn beside the driveway going toward the street from the back of the car.

PS
Looking from the camera position, where is north?
North is to the left.

Instead of the orange mulch all around our home is it a good idea to replace it with some type or orange colored pebbles or rock? Replacing mulch every 2 yrs is getting pricey.
dinosaur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:35 PM   #20
Don't know it all, yet!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Metro Atlanta, GA
Posts: 910
Rewards Points: 500
Default

roses question


I should have touched on this earlier but always give your location when asking gardening questions.

When you say orange mulch, I presume you are referring to shredded pine or cypress which has been dyed? I like the natural color as a matter of personal preference but also because it is somewhat cheaper and cheaper yet to just top dress every year or two.

I don't think I would recommend stone. Other than the obvious higher cost upfront, it is much harder to handle both in installing and working in later. If you are in a warmer climate, stone will not only reflect heat, but hold it in longer making for a hotter microclimate. It is also heavier on the roots. This is one of those times when your location makes a difference.

Since your front yard gets morning sun you have more choices for ornamentals. For those plants which like or can tolerate sun, many times the morning sun vs afternoon sun makes a world of difference.

Back to the roses for a moment, the carpet roses should get about a foot high and a couple of feet wide at maturity. Looks like they are headed there. I am a little concerned that they aren't blooming yet though. This is where you probably need some local help with the soil- at least a good soil analysis.

FWIW-
If you ever get caught up, something's not right!

Later,
Richard
__________________
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right. If you wouldn't put your name on it, it ain't done right!
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:45 PM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,038
Rewards Points: 500
Default

roses question


Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
I should have touched on this earlier but always give your location when asking gardening questions.

When you say orange mulch, I presume you are referring to shredded pine or cypress which has been dyed? I like the natural color as a matter of personal preference but also because it is somewhat cheaper and cheaper yet to just top dress every year or two.

I don't think I would recommend stone. Other than the obvious higher cost upfront, it is much harder to handle both in installing and working in later. If you are in a warmer climate, stone will not only reflect heat, but hold it in longer making for a hotter microclimate. It is also heavier on the roots. This is one of those times when your location makes a difference.

Since your front yard gets morning sun you have more choices for ornamentals. For those plants which like or can tolerate sun, many times the morning sun vs afternoon sun makes a world of difference.

Back to the roses for a moment, the carpet roses should get about a foot high and a couple of feet wide at maturity. Looks like they are headed there. I am a little concerned that they aren't blooming yet though. This is where you probably need some local help with the soil- at least a good soil analysis.

FWIW-
If you ever get caught up, something's not right!

Later,
Richard
Yes orange colored mulch, if I ordered 6 yards last year how many yards should I get next year to top dress? This year the orange still looks very good.

We live close to Milwaukee, WI
dinosaur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:33 PM   #22
Don't know it all, yet!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Metro Atlanta, GA
Posts: 910
Rewards Points: 500
Default

roses question


A yard is 27 cubic feet. How far that goes depends on how deep you install it.

Two points to ponder here:
1. You don't want to keep adding to the point that you get too deep. Four inches should be plenty.
2. You can buy the dye to re-color the mulch. If you can find it to match, that might be a good option. I haven't used it personally but others tell me it lasts about a year. Might save from installing it too deeply or having to remove older mulch, which is wasteful IMO. On the other hand, whatever dye you find might look like !@#$ so you might want to test in a small area first if you do decide to try that route.
__________________
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right. If you wouldn't put your name on it, it ain't done right!
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:10 PM   #23
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,038
Rewards Points: 500
Default

roses question


Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
A yard is 27 cubic feet. How far that goes depends on how deep you install it.

Two points to ponder here:
1. You don't want to keep adding to the point that you get too deep. Four inches should be plenty.
2. You can buy the dye to re-color the mulch. If you can find it to match, that might be a good option. I haven't used it personally but others tell me it lasts about a year. Might save from installing it too deeply or having to remove older mulch, which is wasteful IMO. On the other hand, whatever dye you find might look like !@#$ so you might want to test in a small area first if you do decide to try that route.

I have more then 4 inches, but the problem is once I start moving it around it will look more black than orange.
dinosaur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 02:40 PM   #24
Don't know it all, yet!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Metro Atlanta, GA
Posts: 910
Rewards Points: 500
Default

roses question


Hope this doesn't sound negative, but other than having a naturalist bent that's one of the main reasons I don't like the colored mulch.

In the south that is about as deep as you want it. For your climate, there are some plants that like a good blanket for the winter but that's a different process entirely and completely out of my range. I was born and raised in Georgia but we went up north on vacation to Chattanooga once!

I think trying to re-dye it might be a good first step. Probably won't look any worse than the black.

Good luck.

Richard
__________________
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right. If you wouldn't put your name on it, it ain't done right!
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:55 PM   #25
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10
Default

roses question


Greetings, all!
I have what appears to be a new blight on my roses! I don't recognize it and can't seem to id.
Its definitely not blackspot, with which I'm unfortunately all too familiar!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!roses question-2011-05-21_16-47-57_474-720482.jpg

If it helps, I live in NYC.
pretygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 06:00 PM   #26
Learning by Doing
 
Leah Frances's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Easton, Maryland
Posts: 3,156
Rewards Points: 2,000
Blog Entries: 7
Default

roses question


Quote:
Originally Posted by pretygrrl
Greetings, all!
I have what appears to be a new blight on my roses! I don't recognize it and can't seem to id.
Its definitely not blackspot, with which I'm unfortunately all too familiar!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!<img src="http://www.diychatroom.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=33323"/>

If it helps, I live in NYC.
Start a new thread. So it wont be confusing.
__________________
If I could only remember to THINK about what I was doing before I did it.
Leah Frances is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leah Frances For This Useful Post:
downunder (05-22-2011)
Old 05-22-2011, 03:08 PM   #27
Don't know it all, yet!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Metro Atlanta, GA
Posts: 910
Rewards Points: 500
Default

roses question


Found this cool site that lets you see house colors with mulch colors!
http://www.mulchcolors.com/choose-mulch-colors


Search for mulch dye, mulch colorants, etc.
__________________
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right. If you wouldn't put your name on it, it ain't done right!
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:47 PM   #28
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,038
Rewards Points: 500
Default

roses question


Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Found this cool site that lets you see house colors with mulch colors!
http://www.mulchcolors.com/choose-mulch-colors


Search for mulch dye, mulch colorants, etc.
If I have 1 yard of patio space I want to cover at 1" thick.....and 1 bag of mulch covers 3 sq at 2" thick ho many bags do I need?
dinosaur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:29 PM   #29
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 323
Rewards Points: 250
Default

roses question


Agree with others...if the hostas aren't happy, it must be the soil or something! I'm assuming you're fertilizing with a Rose Tone or something similar...adding compost...bananas, etc.?

Advertisement

Allison1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DRIcore question trailblazer1229 Flooring 0 02-24-2010 10:25 AM
3 Phase meter socket question a320200 Electrical 4 12-11-2009 01:45 AM
An unasked question is the only dumb question jackie treehorn Kitchen & Bath Remodeling 1 09-20-2009 09:24 PM
A question about water preassure. reasonforseason Plumbing 5 04-14-2009 05:36 PM
Basement Renovation Question KUIPORNG Remodeling 234 08-26-2008 09:19 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.
<--
-->