Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-21-2010, 03:32 PM   #1
Dus

Rewards Points: 10

Root removal of unknown plants

Im not sure what these plants are that i recently cut down in my backyard, but they are extremely sharp due to all the thorns from one end of the "leaf" to the other. But that isnt the problem, the problem is that once i cut all the main parts off it left MANY small roots in a variety of sizes. I plan on laying sod in the future, but how could I make it easier to remove these roots?

The roots do not go very far down and renting large equipement is pretty much out of the question. But pulling and pulling and chopping and slicing takes a serious toll. And due to the soft dirt/sand we have here in S. FL it isnt difficult to pull most of the smaller ones, but since there are so many how can it be easier? Rent a tiller or would that be too much stress on it?

Thanks

Dus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,122

Can you take a picture of what's left and find a picture online, to post here, of the type of plant you cut down? Also, a close up picture of the leaves if you can find one. That would make it MUCH easier for us to help you.

Barb

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:42 AM   #3
Dus

Root removal of unknown plants-roots.jpg
roots themselves... this is probably the worst "clutter" of roots

Root removal of unknown plants-roots2.jpg
close up
Root removal of unknown plants-roots3.jpg
this is a small part of the plant

Last edited by Dus; 01-22-2010 at 10:43 AM. Reason: add
Old 01-22-2010, 10:47 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

here we call them yucca plants if it is what i think. shoots stalks up middle with beautiful white bell flowers. leaves are tuff root system shallow but pervasive hard to get all. would try tiller with several rakings and passes
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:31 PM   #5
Dus

there are definetly no flowers anywhere on these things... its more like a extremely resistant and defensive weed. the entire leaf is full with razor like spikes and its been cut down for approx 2 weeks now and it still isnt dead!! those pics were as of today!
Old 01-22-2010, 05:55 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,122

Yucca plants don't always bloom every year.

You may be able to find something at a hardware store that can be sprayed on the plant to kill it, like Roundup. Read the labels. There are different varieties and they each have their own specific use.

Spray it on and let it work for a week or two. Then start digging around the plants to pull them out of the ground. Get as many of the roots as you can and do what tpolk suggested.

Also, I never buy the pre-mixed herbicides. I buy the concentrate so that I can mix it a little stronger if I need to, for tougher plants.

After that, keep an eye out for shoots and apply the Roundup, or whatever product you find, to kill it.

FWIW.

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote