Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-21-2012, 08:15 AM   #1
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,076

Root Killer for Main Line

I trust the mods will move this thread to the most appropriate sub-forum...

So I'm headed over to a rental house this morning to auger out the main sewer line. The problem is that I've a got a huge, wonderful Maple tree in the front yard. So of course, every few years, its roots meander into the sewer line and slow things up.

I'd like to dump some root killer down the drain after I auger it out, IF there is any benefit in doing that. If I can get an extra year or two between auguring the line I'd consider it worth it.

So... Are there any root killers that actually work? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:31 AM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,092

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
So I'm headed over to a rental house this morning to auger out the main sewer line... every few years, its roots meander into the sewer line and slow things up. If I can get an extra year or two between auguring...
Any suggestions?
The suggestion I have is to get the pipe scoped with a video camera.
Assess the condition of this infiltrated and repeatedly augered pipe before doing ANYTHING else to it and before deciding that augering is adequate.

But to answer your question... I'm not aware of any root killing product that a) won't kill the tree or b) won't need to be constantly reintroduced.

TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,076

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
The suggestion I have is to get the pipe scoped with a video camera.
Assess the condition of this infiltrated and repeatedly augered pipe before doing ANYTHING else to it and before deciding that augering is adequate.

But to answer your question... I'm not aware of any root killing product that a) won't kill the tree or b) won't need to be constantly reintroduced.
Thanks!

In all fairness, it has been almost 5 years since I last augured the beast out. The renter's washcloth down there didn't help things much either...

I did pull up about a 3-gallon bucket full of roots, and that's not including what got flushed down. So I was due.

Honestly, I'm not interested in paying somebody $300 to run a camera down the pipe and tell me what I already know.

The only thing I've really heard about being an effective root killer is Copper Sulphate. What are your thoughts on that?

Any other products?

Thanks!
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:39 PM   #4
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,492

I snaked my sewer last weekend....roots at about 10' from the street.....

I asked a similar question in the plumbing section....a few suggested Root-X....said it worked...IF done right....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
DrHicks (05-21-2012)
Old 05-21-2012, 07:29 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Careful what you stick down into a sewer line that feeds into a public system! Copper sulfate is highly toxic.

I had a beautiful old pine tree in the front of an old railway worker house I restored. Same problem. Every couple of years I had to have the sewer line snaked out but worried as those things are rather hard on clay pipe---eventually.

I know you do not want to do it but scoping to see what you actually have might be money well spent and much cheaper than chewing up the sewer line.

I know many municipalites are starting to use sleeves to repair sewer and water lines but I do not know if the stuff works or as available for home type plumbing. Basically it is slipped into the pipe, inflated to adhere to the edges and then cured in place.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:11 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 520

Right- Copper sulfate is the only known . low cost. practical, cheap, relatively safe thing to use. But, yes, like everything else we do, we pollute our environment with similar stuff. More than 90% of the liquid (once dissolved) will run off, into the sewer line/down the street gutter. Good side- copper is a natural occurring element. Just that its bound up in ore usually.....

Best to run a diluted solution of it instead of a high concentration of it, and frequent. Like that the roots will be exposed to it constantly and absorb it beter and less will be "dumped"

Last edited by noquacks; 05-21-2012 at 08:13 PM.
noquacks is offline   Reply With Quote