Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-12-2010, 06:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Rock Walkway

I am about to put a walkway around a koi pond I just finished for my mom. I am using natural creek rock for this project. I have some idea of how to go about this but not much. The area I am laying the rock is on a sandy area where an above ground pool used to be. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

kentuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:15 PM   #2

Rock Walkway

What region are you located in. That will have a little driving force on the installation practice you should follow for installing your walkway. Also the natural creek rock you are talking about, how large / thick is the stone. Is it flag or are we looking at skippers or canyon flats? Install help can also be found at the following link.
http://www.goarticles.com/cgi-bin/showa.cgi?C=3087674

Last edited by Kurtzilla; 07-12-2010 at 09:18 PM.
Kurtzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:28 AM   #3

Rock Walkway

I take it your in Kentucky and so am I ,and we are blessed with some beautiful rock aren't we. I have just finished with my KOI pond and walkway and its very time consumming doing the rock work and all ,but I'm long retired and my hobby is my yard. Right now its about to rain ,and when it gets clear I'll get on the roof and take a picture and post it. Rocks are like women, the further you get away from them, the better they look. The problems I've encountered with the walkway is the mortar joints, and when I laid rock on solid non-fill earth,no problem, but on pea gravel, I wound up with busted mortar joints. If I had it to do again I would have set the rock and wait a year before using mortar. My rocks are rather rough on the show side , and as a suggestion use rock from different areas, some from creeks, some from highway cliffs. that way you'll get different shading. The big rocks will be high up the creek,the smaller will be at the bottom of the creeks. Hope you like to drink........
bernieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:56 AM   #4

Rock Walkway

Once your pond is full of water,you will have a very level base line, so if your rock walkway overhangs the water ,the rock must be level and nearly same thickness what you see. You'll need a long 2x4 and a level. You also need to decide if you want rain water to drain into pond or away, I drained mine into pond as water is precious and should be changed out anyway. Still raining here...........can't get outside........guess Ill take a beating today.
bernieb is offline   Reply With Quote