Ripped Yard Down To Dirt, It Slopes Badly, Now What? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-13-2013, 02:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

ripped yard down to dirt, it slopes badly, now what?

We had our backyard ripped out and striped down to the dirt so we could start fresh with a new one. The photo attached shows where we're at now (just dirt). You'll notice a slope from right to left (the whole street/block/area is on a slight hill). The difference from end to end is 9+ inches. This is what puzzles me - how do we deal with this relatively natural slope when we prefer an even backyard?

Thanks

P.S. - we hope to put a small deck against the house, a patio at the foot of that and then the rest of the yard will be grass (sod). The yard's total area is 30' x 40'.
Attached Thumbnails
ripped yard down to dirt, it slopes badly, now what?-dsc_1208.jpg  

Advertisement

anuvanoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,650

Yards like to do that.

And you really don't want it too flat...especially in your neck of the woods.

Given that rats nest of growth on your neighbors yard....I would do a terrace.....decide what kind of plants you want and put in a small retaining wall (say 6-12") over on that side for stuff to grow....then grade your yard more or less level from there. If you still have too much slope near the drive then consider a second retaining wall there.

Advertisement

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (06-13-2013)
Old 06-13-2013, 03:00 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

A terrace and retaining wall is a good idea, but I'm more concerned with sloping. How can we have it feel like its flat yet still have the necessary sloping/grading for water/rain?

The current sloping/grading goes towards the left to the basement stairs, driveway and garage (cut off in the first photo) and also dips a little more dramatically towards the back corner where the garage and other neighbor's yard meet (see attached photo). That void on the garage represents the 12+ inches of concrete slab that was ripped out (the concrete slab in the other areas of the yard was only 4 inches).
Attached Thumbnails
ripped yard down to dirt, it slopes badly, now what?-dsc_1195.jpg  
anuvanoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:56 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

the way i see it you may have to re-slope the entire thing but dont go over board with it just slightly re-slope it with a pice of board either a foot long piece or a long enough one that two of u can re-slope it and re-level it nicely with the left over soil it can be used or hauled away if not needing it.
the lawn doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:45 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 732

The yard is still to high on that right side. Code calls for finished grade to be at least 6" below the siding.
And I would not want it sloped toward that bulkhead where the door is.
If the area was lower near the foundation and the soil reused out away from the house you could lower that gradient.
Left the way you have it the splash back may cause issues with that window.
I would want to see it all be the level that's on the left side now.
A retain wall on the left around that bulkhead to keep water out of that pit, and one on the right side on the property line to keep there yard from running down in to yours.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:50 PM   #6

i would put a retaining wall next to the driveway to keep the soil from washing out on to the driveway during a heavy rain storm but grade it away from the house and windows so the water doesnt seap down into the walls and foundation of your home
Old 08-01-2013, 12:32 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 25

Lower the right side until it's essentially level with the driveway, while maintaining a slope away from the back of the house. You'd need a small retaining wall along the right edge to compensate for the drop in grade. This will give you more seperation between soil and siding, and keep water from wanting to flow towards that below-grade door. It's more dirt then you think that needs to be moved. A Bobcat or Toro Dingo fitted with a Harley Rake could flatten it out nicely very quickly, but you are still talking about removing several yards of dirt.

Last edited by red92s; 08-01-2013 at 12:35 PM.
red92s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #8

what i would suggest to is if u want put in a retaining wall along the driveway in front of it put river stone so the soil doesnt wash up against the retaining wall and put the riverstone along the back of the house along the windows down and around to the retaining wall the slope the back yard from in front of the river stone away from the house which will not only help to keep water away from the house but will also increase the value of ur home if u ever decided to sell ur home if u wish to talk further please feel free to email me and ill be glad to give u any other advice or help i can

Advertisement