Riding Mowers - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-25-2010, 09:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Question

Riding Mowers

"Paralysis through Analysis" is problem.

2yr old home, grass is looking good (lots o' manual labor), now it takes an hour just to cut grass 3/4 acre lot, let alone edging, weeding, etc.. So now i'm looking for a riding mower. I've read that Craftsman are not what they used to be. John Deere's are the Cadillac brand, Troy Bilt should be called "boy bilt".

I do like the features on the Ariens model below, not too familiar with the brand other than a kick butt snow thrower I used over the winter a few times.

Any help is appreciated...ps do these things mulch or just blow/bag?

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Advertisement

mahjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 616

Riding Mowers

Personally, I don't think you're going to save much time with a rider with only 3/4 of an acre. But that Ariens does have some nice features. According to the literature, you can get optional mulching blades. As far as picking up the clippings or leaves, you will need either a hopper mounted to the mower or a tow behind.

Advertisement

Old 05-25-2010, 05:25 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,018

Riding Mowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahjohn View Post
"Paralysis through Analysis" is problem.

2yr old home, grass is looking good (lots o' manual labor), now it takes an hour just to cut grass 3/4 acre lot, let alone edging, weeding, etc.. So now i'm looking for a riding mower. I've read that Craftsman are not what they used to be. John Deere's are the Cadillac brand, Troy Bilt should be called "boy bilt".

I do like the features on the Ariens model below, not too familiar with the brand other than a kick butt snow thrower I used over the winter a few times.

Any help is appreciated...ps do these things mulch or just blow/bag?

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053
I would go with an Ariens, a non-big box John Deere, or consider a Dixie Chopper.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:20 PM   #4
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,040

Riding Mowers

My current home sits on 1 1/2 acres, the previous one was on 2.3 acres. I've had a number of riding mowers and up to this one, all "tractor" style. After I wore out another John-Deere rear engine unit I bought a Toro Z-42. I tested Gravely, Snapper, Dixie Chopper, and a Husquvarna (sp) before testing the Toro. For my use the Toro won- -Period! I've had it six (6) years now, I do routine maintenance on it, and it's still running and cutting well. I have often made the statement that IF I had to decide on keeping the Toro or my wife- -I hope she's happy elsewhere. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:21 AM   #5
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 528

Riding Mowers

Brands can be deceiving. MTD makes 75% (guessing the %) of all lawnmowers. Everything branded from no-name big-box brands to Craftsman, to John Deere is all made by MTD. So, make sure you are not paying a premium for the name.

Not an entire lineup of a brand (John Deere, for example) is made by the same company though, John Deere's higher-end stuff is real JD, but their low-level stuff is identical to a lot of other mowers at a higher price.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:40 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,018

Riding Mowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyunelan2 View Post
Brands can be deceiving. MTD makes 75% (guessing the %) of all lawnmowers. Everything branded from no-name big-box brands to Craftsman, to John Deere is all made by MTD. So, make sure you are not paying a premium for the name.

Not an entire lineup of a brand (John Deere, for example) is made by the same company though, John Deere's higher-end stuff is real JD, but their low-level stuff is identical to a lot of other mowers at a higher price.
Yes, which is why I recommended the John Deere from the dealer.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:56 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Riding Mowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_47 View Post
Personally, I don't think you're going to save much time with a rider with only 3/4 of an acre.
One spin on my rider made me wonder why I waited so long. I'm done in less than half the time as a push mower, cleaner and less sweaty. No more sucking up the exhaust fumes and the rider has more bagging capacity. Mowing with the rider is almost fun
aggreX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:49 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 320

Riding Mowers

I ponied up for a Simplicity Broadmoor for my 1.25 acre lot.

With the smooth twin cyl vanguard engine and the stripping it does mowing is fun.
High Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 01:13 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,002

Riding Mowers

If you really want to save some time, why not look towards a walk behind mower like the landscapers use. I used to have a JD walk behind with a 48" deck. That thing would cut a lot of grass in no time at all. Plus you could turn on a dime with it.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:25 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 10

Riding Mowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Gear View Post
I ponied up for a Simplicity Broadmoor for my 1.25 acre lot.

With the smooth twin cyl vanguard engine and the stripping it does mowing is fun.

I have one also they have the best floating deck and are made in the USA

Advertisement

ronsyl is offline   Reply With Quote