Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-22-2011, 05:59 PM   #1

Share |

Reviving an old apple tree

So we have this apple tree on our farm that used to bear lots and lots of apples, until lately every year it would bear less and less, until finally last year none came and the tree appeared dead, so I sawed off as illustrated. I left a lot of the stump because I noticed there were long and tiny (about half an inch thick) branches growing out towards the bottom that were bearing leaves.

Now that Spring is here, I'd like to revive this tree somehow in hopes that it will one day bears apples again. What should I do? I was thinking of cutting the tree off towards the bottom and then burying the stump and have the branches sticking out of the ground, but I was afraid that would kill the tree (as the branches may be getting their nutrients from the large underground root system).

Suggestions?

Thanks

ligyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:28 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

A real photo would give more information of the "the subject" (the tree).

If the real tree is really that far out of plumb, I would say that the huge root system is longer attached to the tree very well.

A good arborist could give you some suggestion on whether or not you can bring it back.

Dick

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:49 PM   #3
A Little Of Everything

Just plant a different apple tree.

It's likely that you cut your original tree down below the graft point. So even if it does grow big enough, who knows what kind of "apples" you'll be getting off it.
DrHicks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:50 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I don't understand the illustration or your situation I guess. I put myself through school doing things like pruning fruit trees under careful guidance of an arborist.

Can you post a picture.

To bear fruit, apple, pear, etc. trees need at least seasonal pruning back to the prior year fruit or flower spurs. They will bloom from that point. It sounds like yours got out of control and you may have lost it.

I agree, talk with your county or city arborist.

You should pick up a book from the library on pruning fruit trees.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote