Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-26-2012, 01:27 PM   #1

Share |

Retaining wall replacement

Hello! Newbie homeowner here who's ready to take on challenges of exterior work now that it's warm out.

I have a retaining wall (or what use to be a retaining wall) between my driveway and my neighbor's fence that's falling over. The challenge is that it's very close to the properly line and my neighbor's fence. I would like to understand what are the most economical way of repairing this wall, and make it last as this will eventually be a rental property.

Attached are some pictures of the current cinder-block retaining wall keeling over!

Thanks everyone!
Attached Images

mcjin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #2

Looks like they just set a row of blocks on the ground and expected that to work.
It would need a footing pored, blocks morter in place with cap blocks on top of it to have worked out.

It would look better and be simpler to dig out at least 6" deep to grade out that area, add some crush and run, compact it and level it out and just lay some landscape stones. Going to need at least to layers, one below and one above grade.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #3

Thanks for such a quick reply!!

What should I do behind the landscape stones? There probably won't be the normal 12" of space to add drainage stones. I can also see the concrete footings of the neighbor's fence exposed - wondering if that's something I should be worried about when I rebuild the wall.

Also, there's a total of about 30 ft of wall that needs to be replaced. Is that something I should just hire a Bobcat or an Excavator to do, and if yes, how long do you think that would take?
mcjin1 is offline   Reply With Quote