Retaining Wall Redo? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2012, 02:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

retaining wall redo?

Hello everyone,

I come to you with my retaining wall that is slowly falling over...and just ugly.

retaining wall redo?-retain2.jpg
retaining wall redo?-retain1.jpg

The existing wall is about 60 ft long and 2 ft tall.

A friend of a friend suggested i simply build a new retaining wall directly in front of the existing one instead of ripping it out first. of course the new one would be installed "properly" (as properly as one could be installed without first taking out the old wall) with proper drainage.

some demo of the old wall would be necessary as i would want to replace the steps with something similar to this: Name:  retain6.jpg
Views: 1856
Size:  22.8 KB

i don't know how i feel about the idea of leaving the old blocks. Thoughts?

My main concern with ripping out the old stuff is the maple tree falling over and the deck collapsing after i take out the old stuff but before i get the new stuff in.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Jamie

retaining wall redo?-retain3.jpg
retaining wall redo?-retain4.jpg
retaining wall redo?-retain5.jpg

Advertisement

jbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:36 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 732

retaining wall redo?

Looks like there was not a proper footing laid to set those blocks on, that's why it's tipping, I do not see any drains, also without caps on the blocks water can get in and weaken the whole thing.

If it was mine I would not just leave it in place.
There's tons of web sites and videos on building stone retaing wall on the net.

Advertisement

Last edited by joecaption; 06-26-2012 at 08:39 AM.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:05 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

retaining wall redo?

Pretty sure the maple tree is holding up the retaining wall if anything.. Agreed with everything Joe said.
CopperClad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:33 PM   #4
Coconut Pete's paella!

Rewards Points: 500

retaining wall redo?

Yeah I wouldn't worry about the tree either.

Are there live wires in that electrical conduit?
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:43 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

retaining wall redo?

i do believe you're right, copperclad!

CoconutPete, no. The box is dead. Cover was put on there just to make CO inspector happy when i bought the house.

Sounds like i'll have a heck of a lot of work ahead of me just ripping out and disposing of those old blocks. If the contractors don't come back with enormous numbers, i might let the pros handle this one. i don't know if i want to spend 3 weeks ripping this crap out when they could have the whole thing done in a few days.
jbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jbitt For This Useful Post:
CopperClad (06-26-2012)
Old 06-26-2012, 06:39 PM   #6
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,196

retaining wall redo?

The reason the wall is falling over is that the backfill against the wall is incorrect. Any block type retaining wall requires granular backfill uphill to minimize the pressure on the wall. It appears that the wall was simply placed against existing soil, no excavation and replacement with granular, free draining soil, hence the problem.

Installation of a new retaining wall using segmental block will simply lead to the new wall getting pushed over as the existing wall continues to fail. Most manufacturers of segmental block units include detailed instruction on proper installation of the block, which includes how to build the footing, proper backfill, drainage requirements, and use of reinforcing fabric on walls typicall taller than 3 (occasionally 4) feet. To build the new wall, you will need to remove the existing wall, and excavate typically about half the height of the all back. You then build the wall, and backfill per manufacturer's directions.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:16 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 732

retaining wall redo?

One man with a big skid loader, or mini escavator with a thumb would have that out in about 1/2 a day, and you'll need a big rented dumpster .

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote