Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-10-2010, 12:41 AM   #1

Share |

retaining wall help needed

I just built a retaining wall 3ft high by 40 ft long. Its more cosmetic as I'm burying a 50 yr old wall that is structurally sound (huge stones with mortar) but looks awful. I used 50lb manufactured stones. I pinned each base stone with 2ft 3/8 inch re-bar and glued each stone with construction adhesive. I'm ready to lay the capstone and to my surprise the top course tilts 1/4 inch or so forward if you put a torpedo level from front to back (guessing a hair off here and there added up). I'm confident the wall is structurally sound as it still leans back into the former wall (pinned, glued) but when I put the capstone on it will look a little off. Can I correct for this???

Suggestions???

Thanks!

J...
jackedwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:14 AM   #2
Always learning...

Judging from your description I would agree that its merely a cosmetic issue. At the same time I think its probably too late to address it since its your top course of block. If it were me I wouldn't sweat the 1/4" slope, even though you're aware of it I'd bet that most people won't even notice it.
fetzer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:49 AM   #3

Fetzer,

I appreciate the response. My gut instinct leaned your way. Fortunately its my own home (???). I'm my worse critic. But thanks again for the input! With everything glued in I reached a stand still and similar conclusion.

Cheers!

J....
jackedwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:47 PM   #4

Jack, I need to ask you this. Did you incorperate a drainage column behind your wall? If not, you could end up with hydrostatic pressure behind the wall, which will eventually give you a negative batter to the wall. As for your cap issue, one way to correct the pitch on the cap is to skim coat portland cement under the caps that are off. Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, let me know. I've been in the business my whole life, I also have some good article published on various sites.
Kurtzilla is offline   Reply With Quote