Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2010, 05:50 PM   #1

Share |

Retaining Wall Drainage Question

OK, here's my story, sad but true....

I'm working on replacing/extending a retaining wall in my back yard. The current wall runs along the back of the house, set back around 4', and is made of broken up chunks of concrete. I want to replace this, and extend it under my deck (where soil erosion is causing debris and water to pile up). I'm ALMOST done digging out what I need to dig out, and I ran into the flexible black PVC pipe running from the downspout. I've already purchased 4" perforated flexible PVC pipe for the drain behind the wall - my question is can I just rip out the unperforated PVC pipe, replace it with the perforated version, and join the downspout drain into it all?

My understanding is that I want the perforated pipe so water behind the wall will seep in - will running the downspout drain into this be too much? I'm going to dig a ditch, lay some Soil Separator Trench Cloth, put in a couple inches of gravel, then lay the pipe, then more gravel, then fold the Trench Cloth over.

Also, I live in Seattle. So it rains. All the time. And never stops. Even in the Summer.

Thanks for the assistance!

jwalker1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:01 PM   #2

hey friend.
you want to keep your site drainage (gutters) separate from the wall drainage.

two big reasons:

1) for the wall drainage, you want the holes in the perf pipe DOWN, at the bottom of the pipe. this is frequently misunderstood. you want it so that when the water table rises it fills the pipe ( a shallow dimple between the rows of holes) and exits.

2) gutters draining into the line would clog it full of debris, and there's no good reason to have perf pipe for gutters anyway.

keep 'em separate, is my advice.

wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:57 PM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Use perforated pvc to collect water and then use solid wall pvc to carry it away. Far superior to the cheap flexible, corrugated pipe that is easy to screw up and regret.

Keep the gutters and ground drain tile systems separate.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote