Restoring Crushed Stone? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Restoring crushed stone?

The area between my house and garage is mostly all 3/8" crushed blue stone except for a ~3' perimeter out from the house and garage where there were flower beds. I want to run the stone right up to the house and garage, nix the beds (long gone). I will dig out the dirt 3-4" and fill that in with stone.

The existing stone has been there quite a few years. Filled with decayed leaves/flakes, dirt, etc. Any good way to restore the existing stone? I'm going to put a thin layer over the existing to build it up in some areas, but, I'd like to get it cleaned out.

I wish I had a screen contraption to wash the dirt/sand out of the piles of crushed stone I have sitting off to the side!

Advertisement

Dave88LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:11 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Restoring crushed stone?

If you are willing to pull it out and rinse it off you could build yourself a little screen setup easily enough.

Could try shop vacuuming it but I doubt you will get far.

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:17 PM   #3

Restoring crushed stone?

I'm getting my house prepared to rent out, so I don't want to go too crazy. It'd be a rather large area to dig out and rinse, so IF I did do something like this, it'd just be for the small piles I have off to the side.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:50 PM   #4
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,506

Restoring crushed stone?

Funny you bring this up but washing rocks is how I spent part of yesterday. About a yard and a half of lava rock filled with dirt I salvaged off a job.

I bought a small roll (2'x5') of 1/2" wire mesh and cut that in half (2'x2'6"). Built a 24"x30" 2x4 box and stapled the mesh to the bottom of that, offsetting the two layers for a finer screen.

I set the box on saw horses with the wheelbarrow next to that. A few shovels into the box, rinse then dump into the wheelbarrow. I went through that pile in no time.

It was a slick little system I had other than my soaking wet feet.

Next time I'll wear me boots.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:45 PM   #5

Restoring crushed stone?

I decided to just rake it over, and blow off what I could blow off. I will throw a new inch or so over top. Screw it, it's going to be a rental house. :D