Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-24-2012, 12:39 PM   #1

Share |

Replacing single gate with double

I had a black vinyl coated chain link fence put up over a year ago and I stupidly only had them put up a single gate where I really need a double now. I want it wide enough to drive my truck through if I ever need to but mainly so I can get a riding mower through it.

I paid a little over $950 for the entire fence and 3 single gates installed which was not bad at all. I called them a few months ago to see how much it would cost to replace the single gate with a double. They told me I'd need another gate and a new pole which is obvious. The guy quoted me clove to $500!! I was shocked that just that would cost half of what I paid for the entire fence with 3 gates!! I was speechless and just said okay bye. Needless to say, I'm not paying them that much for this. Can I do this myself?

nikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:23 AM   #2

you can use the pole that the exsisting gate swings closed on and save the coated chain link.the trick is gettig that other half its all hardware on the pins and arms after that.disconnect the chain link from the pole and roll it back then do the reset with quick set cement to take the other half gate.once the pole is set roll back the chain link...pull tightand reconnect with exsisting hardware.now for the new half gate

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles
you can use the pole that the exsisting gate swings closed on and save the coated chain link.the trick is gettig that other half its all hardware on the pins and arms after that.disconnect the chain link from the pole and roll it back then do the reset with quick set cement to take the other half gate.once the pole is set roll back the chain link...pull tightand reconnect with exsisting hardware.now for the new half gate
What about the bar that goes across the top of the fence? It's a certain length and I don't want to cut it. I'll have to take pictures. I worry that the gate will give me issues like every gate I see in other peoples yards where it won't latch because it sags down or that corner hits the ground.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:18 AM   #4

Here's a pic. Gate swings from right to left

Replacing single gate with double-image-2046881770.jpg
Old 05-28-2012, 06:03 PM   #5

can you fit the mower and truck thru the space from that left post "little yellow sign" to the corner of those plants to the right...you have to cut the right post to fit the relocation on the right pole to take the new piece of gate.what's that 4' high there is now weight there.if you cement in the right pole it shouldn't sag.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:23 AM   #6

Truck would prob fit there but I'd rather extend the other way. Are the gates not reversible? That gate seems to have sunk a little since it was put up and only opens in. I plan to dig out some so that it will swing both ways like it should.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:04 AM   #7

that is a pin (the gate goes on) the anchor post,so it should swing full out/in with the ground raked level
Old 06-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #8

I just mowed the grass and decided to play with this gate. I raked down the ground on the outside of the gate to see if it would open out like it should. It turns out the bottom corner of the gate is hitting the concrete footing for that post beside it. It just barely hits it and I can lift up on that side and clear it so can I raise that gate up a little? How much of a pita would that be. Here's some pictures. The first shows the the concrete touching the corner of the gate and the second shows the clamps that hold the gate on the other side. I want to raise it up just a tiny but to touch the other clamp.

Replacing single gate with double-image-3234564086.jpg

Replacing single gate with double-image-2153652025.jpg
Old 06-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #9

Loosen the clamps and adjust the gate.
Do the top one first,then the bottom one,it makes it easier.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:05 PM   #10

I raised it up that little bit and it didnt do anything. I guess it needs to come up another inch or so. Scared to do it because it actually closes and opens easy at the latch which seems to be unusual with gates around here.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:19 PM   #11

Mark a reference point with a sharpie and move it up an inch.
Remember to always do the top first so you don't have the gate flopping around,of course there are other ways of doing it too.

Then if it doesn't close right move it back and go to plan two.

Plan Two:remove gate,then take a grinder with a masonry blade and cut the corner of the concrete chisel it off and re-install the gate.
Installing a second gate is not a big deal,you will need to install another corner post to mount the second gate too.
If it were me I would just make a bigger gate,you can buy all the fittings you need.
As for sag,there are all kinds of tricks for that problem.
I was lucky to get a bunch of commercial hardware from a demo job I was on,let me tell you Goodyear buys nice stuff.

Last edited by Ravenworks; 06-03-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Ravenworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:43 PM   #12

Where can I buy the black vinyl coated fencing and hardware?
Old 06-04-2012, 04:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeman View Post
Where can I buy the black vinyl coated fencing and hardware?
Any fence company will sell you the fence by the foot as with the hardware.
I know menards has it but I hate to even go in there.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeman View Post
....Can I do this myself?
Yes you can do it buy yourself but it would be little difficult cause I guess you didnt have the appropriate tools! And also, you alone cant do it . You need at least one or two guy who have to hold the gate when you put it on place.
Thats is my phone number if you need help: 9732499199 and assistance. I live in New Jersey area.
jonathanmcnabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #15

What is the tool used to tighten up the chain link? Can they be rented cheap? About how much is a 36" black vinyl coated gate? Pretty sure that's what size mine is.

I just need to pull out one of the posts, cut back the chain link, put down new post, then install second gate? Where do the gates latch since there will be no post in the center?