Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Poll: If replacing an existing wooden fence to save money would you:
Poll Options
If replacing an existing wooden fence to save money would you:

Old 04-19-2012, 08:33 AM   #1

Share |
Smile

Replacing an old fence

Hi,

I moved to my new home 3 years ago (it was built in the 50's I think) but it currently has an old wooden fence. I am debating on whether I should go with another wood fence or purchase a vinyl fence instead. The current fence is 4ft. I want to put up a 6ft. fence - is there any way I can use the same posts? - Thanks.

TiaBHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:51 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Replacing an old fence

Your poll is loaded and you will get no helpful results!

Nobody can tell you whether you can rescue posts or not without seeing your existing fence. Whether you replace it with vinyl or not is sort of up to you and the neighbor who shares it.

As far as DIY, experienced contractor, or CL find you know the answer. If you have the skills, knowledge and time DIY. Get three or more estimates from contractors or CL finds and ask about licenses and referrals. Go look at work those you are considering have done. Check references and for complaints. Make sure you write down and specify what you want and don't just ask for estimates on a fence or you will be comparing apples to oranges.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:41 AM   #3
DIY Design and Repair

Replacing an old fence

Hi!
Your replacement fence should be decided on a few factors:
1. Do want a product that is maintenance free?
2. Are you willing to put in the work to maintain the new wood fence?
3. What type of budget are you working with?

Vinyl fencing is more expensive than wood, but there is less maintenance involved. They can be purchased in a variety of colors, but know that when you deviate from the stock colors and decide on something custom, you will pay a lot of money. If white is OK with you, then vinyl is a reasonable option.

Wood fencing is a personal favorite for me (it just seems to add more character) but, you will need to stain it every few years to keep the look you want. If this is OK with you, then wood fencing is a more affordable option and would work fine for your project.

As far as the posts are concerned, it totally depends on the condition they're in. And you mentioned that the current fence is shorter than the one you want to replace it with. I would replace them based on this alone. You want the posts to be able to support the fence, and 4 foot posts on a 6 foot fence does not seem sturdy enough.

Hope this helps and good luck with your project!!

Last edited by TonyaDesigns; 04-20-2012 at 11:07 AM.
TonyaDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #4

Replacing an old fence

Take a pic and post on here.....there will be plenty along to give better suggestions.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote