DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Removing rotten silver maple - pic

9K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  DangerMouse 
#1 ·
Our neighbor (who, btw, technically owns 40% of the tree) finally got fed up with worrying about our old rotten silver maple falling on her house and paid for the cost of cutting it down :thumbsup:

Here's a pic of a 'slice' of the tree taken about 40 inches above ground.

See less See more
#6 ·
Ah...mines been dead since '04...not looking so good anymore
I post a pic of what it looks like in Spring he may decide against it
I never took pics with flowers in it

I'm at the point where I am probably going to try the sledge on it this year
I've actually left it up as there is a certain type of small bee (sweat bee?) that makes little holes in it
They pollinate veggies & flowers & the stump is right near my veggie garden

#10 ·
Wow! That is some humungous tree! Good ideas SD & DM. Love the flowerbed solution. Perhaps open a glass top table shop??? Think that 'wood' look cool! Or maybe DM could make 'The world's biggest magic box' with a couple of slices!!! :yes: There's a challenge...:laughing: Or build a cylindrical kid's playhouse! Now, that 'wood' be sharp! Hollow out the centers, stack 'em, join 'em (like a flower - with a full circle in the center & 5 -7 'petals' notched to fit around the hub), cut doorways & windows, roof 'em & Voila! :thumbup: Have fun!

#11 ·
We have a local artist that takes hollowed out logs and turns them into fire logs. At least that what he sells them as. Suppose to fill the center with kindling and fire it up.

I don't think most people use them for that, not at $75 to $150 bucks a piece. :no:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.