Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2011, 07:05 PM   #1

Share |

Removing Old Lawn For New

I'm removing my old lawn by digging it out. But I'm losing a lot of height from doing so. I was one wondering if it would possible to flip over the dug up grass and so that the roots are exposed and cover it up with soil and start seeding from there? This would save me a lot of money in not having to buy as much soil. Thanks.

Griffzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:39 PM   #2
Tileguy

DON'T dig nothin'

Use Roundup on the whole thing, a few days later power rake that sucker and broadcast your seed and rake it in. Start watering gently. Takes about seven days to see the new sprouts.

I don't know what a knowledgeable (because I'm not) turf guy would say about that method but it worked for me.

The power rake will thrash and wreck the remaining vegetation and stir up enough soil to cover the new seed.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:37 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

This former turfgrass manager would say the approach mentioned worth a try but questions.

1. Is this a failed sod lawn?

2. Was it a seed lawn but you skimped on soil prep?

Direct answer to your question is you cannot just flip the sod layer you cut off over and expect it to serve as a seed bed. You have to do the work.

If you rent a sod cutter you shouldn't lose more than an inch?

Till the remaining soil and add ammendments, not topsoil. Then seed, sod or better yet hydroseed. Turfgrasses need to be in contact with well prepared soil to grow.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote