Remove Old Lawn First Or Concrete First? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-25-2012, 05:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Remove old lawn first or concrete first?

I need to redo my lawn in the front yard and redo the concrete walkway in my front yard and the side yards. The old concrete is not level and collects water on the side of my house. But, my lawn also needs to go and be re-sodded.

My question is which should I do first or does it matter? Should I remove my old lawn, concrete, and then re-sod? or should I concrete, remove old lawn, and then re-sod?

Also, due to the draining of water issue on the sides of my house, I was going to dig a hole about 18 inches wide and fill the bottom with sand and top it off with gravel so that the water can drain in there. The best would have the water drain to the street gutter but it is cost prohibitive for me.

Thank you for time. Sorry if the question was presented incoherently.

Advertisement

jimleahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Pull out the old concrete and regrade as needed. If you're pulling out the concrete using any equipment you'll have to do this anyway.

After the concrete is out, get the lay of the land the way it needs to be. Don't screw up the drainage at this point. It's a golden opportunity to put everything right..., or to make it 10x worse. If you're not 100% sure of what to do, get a pro to set the grade and install any drainage.

Then, once that is all set, put your new concrete in, topdress the yard with topsoil/compost and install the sod around the concrete. Make sure the concrete is set at the right elevation so you can mow. It might be worth it to core aerate the yard before topdressing as if you used any equipment you probably will have some compaction.

Advertisement

Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Thunder Chicken For This Useful Post:
Jeeps (04-25-2012), Ravenworks (04-26-2012), SingleGuy (04-26-2012)
Old 04-25-2012, 06:56 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Chicken View Post
Pull out the old concrete and regrade as needed. If you're pulling out the concrete using any equipment you'll have to do this anyway.

After the concrete is out, get the lay of the land the way it needs to be. Don't screw up the drainage at this point. It's a golden opportunity to put everything right..., or to make it 10x worse. If you're not 100% sure of what to do, get a pro to set the grade and install any drainage.

Then, once that is all set, put your new concrete in, topdress the yard with topsoil/compost and install the sod around the concrete. Make sure the concrete is set at the right elevation so you can mow. It might be worth it to core aerate the yard before topdressing as if you used any equipment you probably will have some compaction.
thanks for the reply.

i'm having a mason do the concrete and the landscaper do the removal of the lawn. i don't trust myself to lay concrete correctly. but, each one says to do their side of the work first.

im not sure the mason would come back after he removes the old concrete. he said he was going to grade everything immediately after removal and get the work done.

from what i gather from your post the chronological order should be:
1. remove old concrete first
2. remove old lawn with sod cutter
3. regrade the plot of land
4. add new concrete

if you only had an option of either or, seems like lawn removal would be prior to concrete removal and concrete addition due to better leveling?

thank you.
jimleahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:56 PM   #4
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,300

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimleahman View Post
im not sure the mason would come back after he removes the old concrete.
You don't need a mason to *remove* the old concrete.
Have the landscape guy, the one who is doing the grading and drainage work layout how and where the concrete should go.

pssst: the walk doesn't have to be concrete and it doesn't have to go back where it is now

Quote:
from what i gather from your post the chronological order should be:
1. remove old concrete 2. remove old lawn
3. regrade the plot of land 4. add new concrete 5. set new sod
TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TarheelTerp For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (04-25-2012), Ravenworks (04-26-2012), SingleGuy (04-26-2012)
Old 04-25-2012, 08:01 PM   #5
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,144

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
You don't need a mason to *remove* the old concrete.
Have the landscape guy, the one who is doing the grading and drainage work layout how and where the concrete should go.

pssst: the walk doesn't have to be concrete and it doesn't have to go back where it is now
Maybe the landscaper can do it, but I bet the concrete guy tears it out for half as much as the landscaper does.

It really doesn't matter who comes in first IMO as long as both of them are good at what they do, there will be no problems.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:01 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

In all of this demolition of sidewalks and repouring them or putting down stone or whatever you are going to be compacting the soil so you cannot just top dress it and lay down sod or you risk it never sending roots deeper than the topsoil layer.

Thoroughly till the soil, folding in appropriate and needed soil ammendments (as determined by a soil test) then do your final grading of the lawn areas.

Also let me plug hydroseeding as an much cheaper and better alternative to sod. It is great for planting on slopes if that applies to you. Unless you need instant green? A hydroseeded lawn will establish much faster than a sod one and for a fraction of the cost with almost zilch chance of failure. You still have to prep the soil though. And you have to keep it the crust that will be sprayed on moist until seed germinates. You have to be diligent about watering young sod to though or you will fry it before it "takes" to the soil.

http://www.hydroseedingexperts.com/Advantages.htm

You can find hydroseeding contractors for your area online or possibly in the phone book. Your landscape designer or contractor should know of them. Even if you have a small yard? If you can be somewhat patient they will work your job in.

Last edited by user1007; 04-25-2012 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Added URL
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Ravenworks (04-26-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 04:56 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

Ditto on the hydroseeding recommendation. I had an old concrete patio pulled out of my back yard last August, and I have a nice established lawn now. I had it all regraded and hydroseeded. It sticks suprisingly well to slopes. The day it was put down we had a torrential, monsoon-like cats & dogs rain. Very little movement occurred. It was only about a 1000 sq. ft. but that isn't too small for hydroseeding.

Advertisement

Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote