Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-12-2006, 08:14 PM   #1

Share |

removal of old tree

We just bought a 66 year old house that has a very large (15 ft tall and 12 ft diameter) Colorado Blue Spruce right in front. We would like to take it down because it almost completely hides the front of the house and it does not have a very nice shape. Is it possible we could take it down ourselves (to save money), or should it be taken down professionally. Any reason not to take it down?
Thanks very much.

MWD78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 04:03 PM   #2
HarryHarley

removal of old tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWD78 View Post
We just bought a 66 year old house that has a very large (15 ft tall and 12 ft diameter) Colorado Blue Spruce right in front. We would like to take it down because it almost completely hides the front of the house and it does not have a very nice shape. Is it possible we could take it down ourselves (to save money), or should it be taken down professionally. Any reason not to take it down?
Thanks very much.
Did you really mean 15 feet? First, it's a personal choice to take down a tree. If it is as tall as I think it is I would go professional. It needs to be taken down in sections being so close to the house. Make sure the re-movers are insured. I've taken down hundreds of trees. You would be surprised how tricky they can be. And, being from the New Orleans area I've seen trees like this cut houses in half. Not a pretty sight.
Good luck.

HarryHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 09:44 PM   #3

removal of old tree

Thank you. The tree really is 15 feet tall, and its branches reach 12 feet in diameter. We would prefer to hire a professional. Thanks for the insurance advice.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:15 AM   #4
registered

removal of old tree

Make sure if you hire a professional to take it down they include in the price to grind the stump.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 07:33 PM   #5

removal of old tree

Thanks for the good advice!