Redoing Topsoil, What About Excess? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-16-2013, 10:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 156

Redoing topsoil, what about excess?

I have this excess topsoil. It's good topsoil, but full of rocks and lighters and tire irons. I'm replacing it with Scotts Turf Builder, so want to have it hauled off for some decent use. It needs to be screened.

Do I just call a dirt removal company and they'll reuse it? Or will they dump it as fill dirt or something? Should I put it up as free dirt on craigslist?

(Also apparently I was supposed to get a permit before doing this... oh well. My city's insane. Apparently I was supposed to pay $5 for a permit to replace a plumbing fixture when I replaced the faucet on my bathroom sink.)

Advertisement

Old 08-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 77

I'd put it up on Craigslist for free. If you call someone to remove it, my guess is that they'd try to charge you. How much topsoil are we talking about?

Advertisement

NegativeTen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:25 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 156

Metric ****ton.

170sqft lawn, entirely excavated by mattock. The topsoil layer is built up by grass dying after being clipped, rotting, and producing hummus. Thus after years of growth the soil level rises. That means this is decent topsoil (add manure), caveat people throw trash everywhere and I've excavated everything from rocks to lighters to condom wrappers from an inch or two beneath the surface (sift this out).

The soil is graded away from the house. The sidewalk slopes upward toward the house; the soil started like 2 inches above the sidewalk and seems to have quickly found its way to 3-5 inches higher. The next yard over (not mine) is a massive hill that's formed in the same way, some 6-8 inches immediately at the sidewalk!

I'm trying to grade the whole thing to about 1 inch above sidewalk level, since the sidewalk itself is graded sanely. Currently I've covered 1/2 the surface of the lawn, and have more than the 15cuft (10 bags of 1.5cuft) of soil I bought to replace this stuff! I expect I'm 2/3 of the way there, I'll probably have 30-40 cuft, but I'm terrible with these kinds of measurements.

It's enough to hide 3-4 bodies in.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 780

Just say................"what new faucet?"
Startingover is offline   Reply With Quote