Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-12-2014, 05:47 AM   #1

Share |

Redoing back yard

Our front yard looks great, ll grass and no weeds, also nice and green. Well it looks all great until you walk into our back yard. Brown spots everywhere, weeds all over the place.

My wife wants to just completly do the yard all over again. As in getting rid of all the grass/weeds currently growing by taking it all up or killing it all this fall and planting new grass seed.

What would be a feasible way to do this?

cincinnati guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:14 AM   #2

Redoing back yard

Get a sod cutter and remove existing grass and weeds. Get it out of your yard and don't till it into the soil. Conversely, use shovels to remove (depending on size of yard). Get a tiller and loosen up the soil down at least 4-5 inches. Add new top soil, compost, peat moss, lime, (amendments) as needed. Level the grade and compact. Lay sod in the fall. Not seed as seed takes a lot long to create established roots. You will not be able to have significant foot traffic on it for months - likely including next spring.

I just layed sod this spring and yard looks fantastic. Adding new top soil and compost is key. I did more of this in the back yard and it is greener than the front yard. While front yard looks great too, backyard is slightly better. Wish I would have added more new top soil and compost more in front. However, the backyard needed much more because the grade was lower than needed by at least two inches. Also important is watering the crap out of it (which is why the fall is a good time considering spring has passed).

This is what I call a DIY hybrid project. Get someone to help you that knows landscaping, but otherwise good to do on your own. Make sure you use fresh sod. Not the old crap from Home Depot or Lowes. Add the right fertilizer before laying sod as well.

Finally, I add planting beds before I layed the sod. Consider the same if want to have more than just new grass.
Attached Thumbnails
Redoing back yard-img_0109.jpg   Redoing back yard-img_0592.jpg  

drelldrell is offline   Reply With Quote