Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-06-2011, 10:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 256
Question

red wall brick as ground paver in the yard?

new to landscaping.

I want to add an area with pathway in the yard with pavement. I have abundant old red bricks (approx. 3"x7"x2") that are normall used for walls.

1. Can I use them for ground pavement?

2. If I can use red bricks, do I put gravel under and between them or sand?

3. If I can't use red bricks, is it better to use ready-made pavers or the faux stones with cement and molds to make them? Given this is DIY job and I don't have much experience with landscaping, but still want to make it economical.

Thanks

Last edited by hohadcr; 08-06-2011 at 10:40 PM.
hohadcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:59 AM   #2

nobody knows????

Old 08-08-2011, 09:33 AM   #3
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,076

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohadcr View Post
new to landscaping.

I want to add an area with pathway in the yard with pavement. I have abundant old red bricks (approx. 3"x7"x2") that are normall used for walls.

1. Can I use them for ground pavement?

2. If I can use red bricks, do I put gravel under and between them or sand?

3. If I can't use red bricks, is it better to use ready-made pavers or the faux stones with cement and molds to make them? Given this is DIY job and I don't have much experience with landscaping, but still want to make it economical.

Thanks
Sure, you can use the bricks for pavers. The end result you want is going to determine how you place them.

If you want the pathway to look nice, you'll need to dig down, pour and pack a good level substrate, then add sand, then put down the bricks, then pour fine sand on top of them and broom it down between the bricks.

If you just want something that's a sort of pathway, you can lay the bricks right down on top of the grass. They'll work their way "down" and the grass will grow up around them. This would be very easy, but I would not recommend it.

Last edited by DrHicks; 08-08-2011 at 11:02 AM.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:59 AM   #4
Coconut Pete's paella!

Rewards Points: 500

Sure you can use them. My front walkway is made from them and it's been there since 1930.
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:47 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

You can use plain old construction bricks for pavers, but how well they hold up in a freeze/thaw environment is questionable.

You'll want to dig down several inches and slightly wider than the proposed walkway. Put down at least 4-5" of crushed stone, 2" at a time, compacting it with each layer, getting it approximately level. Then at least 2-3" of slag sand, which is what you'll finally compact and level. Lay your bricks, then add your border. The border can be either a concrete "curb," which comes only about half-way to the top of the bricks and will eventually be covered by grass (which will need constant attention due to the lack of soil under it), or a plastic barrier held in place by long spikes. Then you'll spread slag sand atop the bricks and broom it into place. Water. Let dry. More slag sand. Water. Let dry. More slag sand... until the spaces between the bricks stay filled.

A note about the concrete curb vs. the plastic barrier with spikes: The concrete curb, if done correctly, will hold the walkway's shape better, by far. The plastic barrier is easier, but will undoubtedly lead to increased maintenance, particularly if the walkway or patio is on a grade.

Learned all this by doing it myself, and getting it wrong, watching professionals do it, and them getting it right, and reading.
More Power! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:58 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Not a whole lot to add to the above post but they also make an aluminum edge for your pavers which in my opinion would be a the most cost effective solution although concrete really is the most stable and permanent solution but for most people its out of the realm of diy
CountryCare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:02 AM   #7

Thank you all, guys!! Probably start digging tomorrow.