Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2012, 04:44 PM   #1

Share |

Received a old Craftsman chipper. What can you tell me about it

I scored this chipper recently for free. I have no clue how old it is but I did some maintainance on it (cleaned air filter, spark plug, fresh gas and oil) and it started on the 3rd crank. It has an 8hp engine which I believe is made by tecumsah. Ran some branched through it to see how it worked and it chewed them up and spit them out like nothing.

Anyone know where I might find an owners manual for this? I googled it and saw a few pictures of this model but nothing really telling me how to use it.

Honestly, I'm not sure how much it will get used. I do occasionally have to burn brush because of the surrounding woods near my house.

Any idea what something like this is worth? It's in generally good condition with a little rust on the bottom of the shoot. I have no clue how much it would've cost new or what it's worth today. Might be something I could trade for something I'd get more use out of.
Attached Thumbnails
Received a old Craftsman chipper.  What can you tell me about it-imag0002.jpg  

speedster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:36 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

If there are any sort of model numbers on it you might try the Sears parts resource or stop by a store and have the service people see if they can find it. You might get lucky and find something here:

www.manualslib.com

I did a quick search and found several. Not sure which one applies to you.

Not sure what they go for new these days. Yours looks like it is not built for branches too thick but maybe the manual will prove me wrong. If it could deal with annual pruning and so forth I should think you would have no problem selling it.

Last edited by user1007; 07-21-2012 at 05:38 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:41 PM   #3

Thanks. I'll have to look for a sticker indicating model number when I get home. I do know that the warning labels on it stated that the smaller hopper would handle up to 3" limbs. The larger shoot said it was for small twigs and leaves.
speedster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:54 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster1 View Post
Thanks. I'll have to look for a sticker indicating model number when I get home. I do know that the warning labels on it stated that the smaller hopper would handle up to 3" limbs. The larger shoot said it was for small twigs and leaves.
Just be careful. Some of the smaller chippers are so light they bounce around when you feed heavier and longer branches through them.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:11 PM   #5
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster1 View Post
I scored this chipper recently for free. I have no clue how old it is but I did some maintainance on it (cleaned air filter, spark plug, fresh gas and oil) and it started on the 3rd crank. It has an 8hp engine which I believe is made by tecumsah. Ran some branched through it to see how it worked and it chewed them up and spit them out like nothing.

Anyone know where I might find an owners manual for this? I googled it and saw a few pictures of this model but nothing really telling me how to use it.

Honestly, I'm not sure how much it will get used. I do occasionally have to burn brush because of the surrounding woods near my house.

Any idea what something like this is worth? It's in generally good condition with a little rust on the bottom of the shoot. I have no clue how much it would've cost new or what it's worth today. Might be something I could trade for something I'd get more use out of.
Dang - I'm getting a little jealous of everybody scoring free stuff!

Here's a website that may be of help to you, regarding parts for this rig. Honestly, I've never found Owners' Manuals to be of much help. Sometimes they have a parts list, but most of the time their maintenance advice is, "Take it to a certified dealer."
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/getModelNew!retrieveModelDetails.pd?modelNumber=24 777605&brandId=0247&productCategoryId=1503320&seoF ormattedBrandName=Craftsman-Parts&seoFormattedProductTypeName=Chipper-shredder-Parts

My guess is that that rig probably cost $500 - $600 new, and may be worth $150 - $200 now. If you want to try to list it on Craigslist, wait until fall when people are bagging leaves. It might sell better than.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote