Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2011, 06:23 PM   #1

Share |

Re-grading small yard

We bought a house last fall and we have a small yard. The grading is towards the house instead of away. I have a couple questions

Is this something we can take care on our own?

Does it just involve dumping dirt to make the slope right?

How do I determine how much dirt is needed?

Related question (although in the wrong section), how hard are window wells to install because I have a feeling that by making things right, the dirt would be over the window.
BandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:41 PM   #2
Pretending to be Retired

Re-grading small yard

Your questions have so many answers depending of the "lay of the land" so to speak. Lets see, can you scrape dirt from the outer perimeter of the yard and deposit it around and near the house? That way you change the slope of the ground without raising the grade around the windows too much. ? If you were to buy a load of soil, see if you can buy small loads so you can see how it goes. If you are using a shovel to move the dirt around a dump truck load would take a long time to spread. Putting dirt up against the house can cause a lot of problems. How close would the dirt be to the wood part of the house. If you put the dirt too close to the wood, termites would love you by making it so easy to get their wood.

Can't help with the window well. Never built one of those.

Good luck and congratulations on the house and welcome to the forum!
BigD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:49 AM   #3

Re-grading small yard

Thanks for the response.

Our house is made of brick so termite would not be an issue I don't think.

Taking the dirt from one end of the lot (I am being generous here with the term "lot") to put it against the house wouldn't work as part of our house is next to a municipal walkway which is actuall higher than ours at times. I think it would just creat more problems for us but I will think about it. There are also big slumps in the yard that will need to be filled anyway so I don't think I will get away with not bringing in some dirt.

Any idea what the cost of getting dirt brought in could be?
Old 04-13-2011, 07:26 AM   #4
Pretending to be Retired

Re-grading small yard

All depends on your location, and availability. I got a load in once that cost $200. It was a Tri-axle sized load with sideboards filled to the brim and it made quite a mountain of dirt in the yard. That took me a year to whittle down and spread out. Check Craig's List for your area, and maybe the phone book. If you have a pickup or trailer you may be able to go get some yourself.

What is directly behind the brick? If it is wood, be careful. Like I said, putting dirt in contact with the wood part of the house will have the termites saying Thank You - Thank You - Thank You.
BigD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:10 PM   #5

Re-grading small yard

Good point about the termites BigD9, I will keep that in mind, but I think our foundation is high enough that it will not be a problem (probably over 3 feet between the ground and the start of the brick, foundation is concrete).

Dirt might be cheaper than I thought. Just have to figure out how much I would need and if I have enough energy to do this.