Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-21-2011, 10:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

re: concrete patio stones

I have two 3' x 3' patio stones that were used as a base for an air conditioner that was recently removed. I am thinking about using those stones as a base for a new composting bin that I want to build. This air conditioner has leaked refridgerant on several occasions, needing a top up in the spring.

I want to know if the refridgerant seeps into the air, or could it have absorbed into the concrete. I dont want to taint any new compost with refrigerant, or anything unhealthy from an air conditioner.

thanks
-g

gramps416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:59 AM   #2

it is possible that HVAC is a better place to answer this question

can this thread be moved please?

Old 02-23-2011, 11:12 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps416 View Post
I have two 3' x 3' patio stones that were used as a base for an air conditioner that was recently removed. I am thinking about using those stones as a base for a new composting bin that I want to build. This air conditioner has leaked refridgerant on several occasions, needing a top up in the spring.

I want to know if the refridgerant seeps into the air, or could it have absorbed into the concrete. I dont want to taint any new compost with refrigerant, or anything unhealthy from an air conditioner.

thanks
-g
You have no problem with refrigerant that will go in to the air. Oil from compressor if there is a lot of it might be a problem. I think you are good to go for a base for your compost.
peteE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:25 PM   #4

would I be able to tell if oil has leaked out? This air conditioner has been repaired several times over the years. I was not here for most of those repairs (and don't know the nature of all of them)
-g