DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Landscaping & Lawn Care (http://www.diychatroom.com/f16/)
-   -   ratio bleach to water cleaning concrete (http://www.diychatroom.com/f16/ratio-bleach-water-cleaning-concrete-189091/)

Startingover 10-23-2013 06:47 AM

ratio bleach to water cleaning concrete
 
I've read many different ratios of bleach to water to clean concrete. My sidewalk is getting dark from mildew, common here in the south. What is a safe ratio that will do the least damage to adjoining grass?

joecaption 10-23-2013 07:48 AM

50/50

bob22 10-23-2013 09:24 AM

Bleach is now coming in higher concentration bottles than before; like double.
I'd pressure wash it without using any bleach or other chemicals if you can.

Startingover 10-23-2013 11:05 AM

bob, I did rent a heavy duty pressure washer last summer and it wasn't very convenient, but the drive, patio and walks hadn't been cleaned in many years prior to me buying this house.

The bleach spray is for between times and what everyone around here uses. thanks.

Canarywood1 10-23-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Startingover (Post 1257011)
I've read many different ratios of bleach to water to clean concrete. My sidewalk is getting dark from mildew, common here in the south. What is a safe ratio that will do the least damage to adjoining grass?


Use oxygenated bleach to keep from harming your grass or plants,chlorine bleach will kill any plant.

Startingover 10-23-2013 12:21 PM

canarywood, where do I buy it around here?

Canarywood1 10-23-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Startingover (Post 1257133)
canarywood, where do I buy it around here?


You may be able to buy it at Home Depot or Lowes,maybe even at Publix,or just google oxygen bleach.


http://www.oxygenbleach.com/what-is-...each.html#more

TarheelTerp 10-23-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob22 (Post 1257066)
I'd pressure wash it without using any bleach or other chemicals if you can.

^^
Rent a "floor machine" scrubber for the concrete surface.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvJ9v5spH40

Startingover 10-25-2013 11:11 AM

I found 'OUTDOOR' bleach today at H.D. and instructions for various uses.

thanks everyone

bob22 10-25-2013 11:15 AM

Let us know how it works if you can remember to do so.

Startingover 10-29-2013 10:37 AM

Used the 'outdoor' bleach today on the front walk. Instructions were lacking other than ratio to mix.

At first it didn't seem to be working. I let it set half an hr and went back and am pleased with results for so little effort. It didn't say to rinse but I didn't want to take a chance on footprints, inside on the carpet, so rinsed it off plus didn't think it'd be good for the concrete.

I used half the gallon in my sprayer so I'll need a lot more to do the drive, the sidewalk around the house and back patio.

Yes, unless I find something else, I'll use it again.

Startingover 11-03-2013 05:10 PM

RETRACTING my praise of the Outdoor Bleach.

Yes, it worked on the front sidewalk which looked fairly nice to begin with.

Today used it on a side patio area which was black. This patio has been neglected by me the 1.5 yrs I lived here and undoubtedly for yrs before. It barely did anything. It cleaned it up slightly in splotchy areas and now it looks a mess.

Will not buy it again.

kwikfishron 11-03-2013 05:36 PM

Put a pressure washer on your Christmas list. If you owned one you know you'd be using it often. You wouldn't necessarily need one that was the size you rented.

Startingover 11-03-2013 06:24 PM

LOL,

Good memory! My xmas list is getting pretty long. Funny, all the tools you need when you own a house.............

Canarywood1 11-03-2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Startingover (Post 1261908)
RETRACTING my praise of the Outdoor Bleach.

Yes, it worked on the front sidewalk which looked fairly nice to begin with.

Today used it on a side patio area which was black. This patio has been neglected by me the 1.5 yrs I lived here and undoubtedly for yrs before. It barely did anything. It cleaned it up slightly in splotchy areas and now it looks a mess.

Will not buy it again.


If it was as bad as you say you should have adjusted the concentration or went full strength,or used chlorine bleach.

Forgot to say,you do know that black stuff is algae right??


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:06 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved