Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Raising my lawn

My lawn is about 6 inches lower than my concrete patio. I don't like how deep it is. I'd like lay some dirt, then reseed/resod the grass. Do I have to remove the old grass before laying down the new soil?

edta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Raising my lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by edta1 View Post
My lawn is about 6 inches lower than my concrete patio. I don't like how deep it is. I'd like lay some dirt, then reseed/resod the grass. Do I have to remove the old grass before laying down the new soil?
Assuming that it won't mess up your grade (i.e. cause water to run toward your foundation), then there is no problem with this. I'd probably give it a quick low mow beforehand to keep it from trapping air pockets when you bury it, but otherwise just pile it on.

Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:27 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Raising my lawn

Only real danger other than mentioned would be if your existing sod is growing in some heavy clay or something. You could form a layer that would trap water and rot the roots on your new lawn. Ideally you should cut it out or till it over with the new soil you add.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote