Raising Grade In Back Yard... - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-07-2013, 10:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Raising Grade in back yard...

I have a dip in my back yard and it gets wet during the winter with melts and during any rainy period

It's also pretty harsh on my riding mower (the bumps) and causes my dogs to track mud into the house

I think I need about 12 yards of dirt... how do I go about doing this?

Can I just throw dirt over it and plant quick growing grass seed? Do I have to loosen the ground up and then put it on? Can I do it all with topsoil or should I buy some dirt and some topsoil?

This picture was taken 3 weeks ago, it has since dried up. I'd like to order the dirt today and get started, but it is supposed to rain the rest of the week... should I wait until I get a dry forecast?

Also, I was thinking about adding a couple dry wells in the yard on top of leveling... think that would be overkill?

Advertisement

Last edited by steve-19; 04-07-2013 at 10:41 AM.
steve-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,278

Ayuh,.... Water flows Downhill,.... I'd think cuttin' a swale through the lot to drain it, will work better than fillin' it with dirt, causin' it to dam up elsewhere...

Advertisement

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #3

Either way I need to level it at least the left hand side, it's hard on my riding mower.

That's why I proposed a couple drywells
Old 04-07-2013, 12:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-19 View Post
Either way I need to level it at least the left hand side, it's hard on my riding mower.

That's why I proposed a couple drywells
Ayuh,... Which way is generally Downhill,..??

When ya cut the swales, you'll have plenty of dirt to smooth up the rest of the yard,...

Yer lookin' at weeks worth of work with a shovel, 'n wheelbarrow, or a couple hours, tops, for a grade man on a dozer....
Old 04-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

The difficulty with the swale is how to continue it beyond your property line...it needs to drain somewhere...

I'd be inclinded to stick with your original plan. Some intense physical labour ahead but its worth it and good for you as well.

Maybe a day or two...

Not even sure a drywell is necessary. If it were my yard ( and I have had issues ) I'd throw some soil on the lowspots and then some seeds..Done
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to FordRacer2007

Just dropped by to say "awesome creeper avatar!"
FordRacer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FordRacer2007 For This Useful Post:
creeper (04-07-2013)
Old 04-07-2013, 02:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
The difficulty with the swale is how to continue it beyond your property line...it needs to drain somewhere...

I'd be inclinded to stick with your original plan. Some intense physical labour ahead but its worth it and good for you as well.

Maybe a day or two...

Not even sure a drywell is necessary. If it were my yard ( and I have had issues ) I'd throw some soil on the lowspots and then some seeds..Done
Ayuh,... That's Why I've been askin' what the general lay of the land is,....
It can't be seen in the picture,...
Gettin' water to follow the General Lay of the Land is most always the Best plan of attack,...
It Appears in the picture, the problem is bein' caused by a big hump(dam) runnin' from the tool shed over to the fence....
A swale cut down through each side of the tree will probably dry out the whole lot....

Many times, fillin' low spots, just causes more low spots, Upstream from the 1s filled...
Creatin' a channel, ei; a swale can be done with the native soils too, so importin' more dirt won't be necessary....

I don't see any reason for any drywells either,...

Last edited by Bondo; 04-07-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:15 PM   #8

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,136

steve -

It appears you neighbor on the left has the same problem.

If you fill you could force water into his yard and end up with an angry neighbor. Perhaps it might be good to get together with hime and do a joint project for both yards to reduce the end cost and make a proper solution IF there is a drainage channel at the back of your yard.

Your neighbor does not have a big problem since you are getting his water and a little fill there with keep it where it should be.

There are always possible problems when you change drainage, so keep your valuable photo in case there are problems.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #9

The yard declines from back to front (to the house). It also is 5 feet lower on the left hand side of the picture than the right hand side.

I got an estimate to run a drain from the right side of the picture, to the left... under the fence and into the neighbors yard slightly and down to the street, to the drain... $1300. 14 yards of topsoil will cost me $400 delivered and some manual labor.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
steve -

It appears you neighbor on the left has the same problem.

If you fill you could force water into his yard and end up with an angry neighbor. Perhaps it might be good to get together with hime and do a joint project for both yards to reduce the end cost and make a proper solution IF there is a drainage channel at the back of your yard.

Your neighbor does not have a big problem since you are getting his water and a little fill there with keep it where it should be.

There are always possible problems when you change drainage, so keep your valuable photo in case there are problems.

Dick

There are drainage channels at the back of everyone's yard in the neighborhood, except ours since our house is at the very back of the neighborhood, with the back yard facing the woods.

In fact, the township added a $4 charge every month, for 10 years, to every house in the neighborhood to pay for a drainage project to widen the channels and run large drain pipe through people's yards... everyone benefited except my side of the street, yet, I still have to pay and come up with a solution for our water retention problems on our own.

Advertisement