Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2011, 04:19 AM   #1

Share |

Raised Pool and Landscape area

This is round one of crappy contractors. Sis's place.
On the astronomical price of an above ground inground installed pool and going through about a half dozen pumps for it and pay for dirt to be removed and then having dirt being paid for to be put back in.

The only thing the contractor got right on this one was the back hoe work in a tight backyard thank god on that one. So, the pool is raised two feet above the ground along with the landscaping with no barriers for weeds, a crooked easement for the one opening door to the pool and NO DRAINAGE at ALL.

The outside fence sits atop all this crap, like a giant bowl of cereal saying: Fill my back yard up everytime it rains. The fence that was installed the installer was clueless and did not go with regulations. The fence installer cut her water line then reattached it not so well as it has a slow leak now in the line. The water line goes around the square fence post now instead of a straight flow. Now, aside from NO DRAINAGE at ALL while her whole backyard is raised up two feet, umm wont this cause like foundation issues where the back of the house sits at now. Aside from this the whole pool has to be reset into the ground flush and everything lowered in the back yard two feet or let it sink all into the pool area to make right.

Just curious, why is it that some people like getting screwed by contractors. The whole permit was pulled by her too. I cannot stress enough to people about shopping around and asking questions and looking up stuff before it becomes a cluster F. I think that some people truly have problems with contractors and how do you break them of that bad habit.

Last edited by oh'mike; 09-21-2011 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Added spaces again!
mikey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:22 AM   #2
DIY staff

This site is home to a lot of pros---This is the third 'crummy contractor' post---

Lighten up---we don't know your sister---or what she asked the 'contractors' to do.

There are a lot of truly fine contractors who will deliver good value for the money spent.

There are also a lot of unemployed guys with tools who will pass themselves off to the cheap or unsuspecting.

Simply checking on their previous work or dropping in on a current job will eliminate these rascals.

I have no idea why your sister has picked unskilled workers---but the cure is simple.-Mike---

Old 09-21-2011, 06:55 AM   #3
Concrete & Masonry

What's the question? And why wouldn't you have offered to help your sister out beforehand, rather than just grumble about it now?

And, how deep would the water line have been if the fencing contractor hit it? Where is this project anyways?
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:16 PM   #4

Feel better?

The key is asking questions in advance and checking references. I have had two 30 foot round above ground pools put up over the last three years. ( decided to move from the first one) and not because of the pool. Both were flawless installs. I knew going in that I would have to dispose of the extra dirt or make use of it. So I backfilled around the pool with the extra on the first and had a fellow come in and spread the extra from the second install across the yard in an area that while not low enough to hold water, not high enough for it to run off reasonably quick.
Then I built a deck around it. Took me all summer, but I did it by myself.
Your mission is help your sister starighten things up, if you accept it.
Attached Thumbnails
Raised Pool and Landscape area-img_5091.jpg  
MikeKy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:14 PM   #5

Pictures would helped to better show what the issues are!
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote